Doctoral Fellowship Program
TEAMS offers Doctoral Fellowships for minority students choosing to pursue doctoral degrees at accredited universities other than UALR. However, the recipient must agree to return to a professional faculty or staff position at UALR upon conferral of the degree. The fellowship may be awarded for up to one (1) academic year. It may also be renewed at the discretion of UALR for up to three (3) years. The fellow must remain in good academic standing with a GPA of 3.0 or higher and maintain a course load of nine (9) hours per semester toward their degree. The fellow may accept additional fellowships and assistantships without jeopardizing their eligibility for the TEAMS fellowship.
Criteria for Eligibility
Applicants Must Be:
* A minority (A group underrepresented within the general population).
* A native Arkansan
* A United States citizen or resident alien
* Admitted as a full-time student, to a degree seeking program at an accredited university
* Endorsed by the chair, head or employing department and the college dean
* Currently enrolled in the UALR Graduate School, within six months of graduating or be an alumnus of the UALR Graduate School
* Demonstrate promise as a candidate for doctoral study and eventual faculty or staff member
The following factors will be considered when awarding fellowships:
* The applicant’s academic record, including graduate GPA, standardized test score(s), and academic work (thesis, papers, presentations ...etc.) while at UALR
* The extent the candidate is underrepresented in the employing unit or sponsoring program at UALR
* The probability the he/she will become tenured professors.
* The strength of the endorsement by sponsoring program
* A statement of professional goals should be prepared by the applicant
Each criterion will be rated on a scale of 1 to 10. The candidate with the highest score and endorsement by TEAMS advisory committee will be recommended to the project director as the first choice. Final selection will be made by the TEAMS director.
Repayment of the Fellowship
Upon returning to UALR, the fellow will repay the fellowship by being employed as faculty or staff. For each semester of support provided by UALR, it will be repaid by the fellow by remaining for employment. The fellow who cannot or does not repay by returning for employment at UALR is obligated to pay the amount of the fellowship plus interest in a period of time of no longer than two (2) years after the fellowship was received.
For more information about the TEAMS doctoral fellowship program, contact any TEAMS staff member at (501) 569-8659.