Evolve RN Admission Assessment (A2) plus Critical Thinking
An appointment is required for Evolve testing. We do not accommodate walk-ins. Please call Testing Services at (501) 569-3198 to reserve a date and time.
The A2 exam is also called the HESI Admission Assessment Exam (A2). It is owned by the company Elsevier.
The A2 exam is administered through UALR Testing Services.
The UALR administration is available ONLY to UALR Nursing Program applicants. Applicants to other nursing programs or those for whom UALR’s test days and times are not convenient, should contact Prometric.
One may have to search the Prometric website using the word Elsevier.
$67.00 NON-REFUNDABLE under all circumstances. UALR accepts check, money order, VISA or MasterCard. Cash is not accepted.
Administration Days and Times:
An appointment is now required. Reference “What You Must do PRIOR to the Exam Day” below.
- Tuesdays, Wednesdays, and Thursdays from 9:00 AM through 3:00 PM. No examinee will be seated after 3:00 PM due to the four hour length of the exam.
For alternate testing dates, one should contact Prometric.
What You Must Do PRIOR to the Exam Day:
Pre-registration is no longer required, however you must present your red advising slip from the UALR Department of Nursing and create your Evolve account prior to test day.
- Obtain a UALR Department of Nursing advising form by either being academically advised by that department, or by attending one of their orientations. The form is red and approximately 3″x8.5″. It confirms you are an applicant to the UALR Nursing Program.
- Create your Evolve account referencing the handouts given to you at the time of your advising/orientation. If you have misplaced your handouts, you may reprint these:
- Do not be confused by the complex Evolve website. Remember you are merely creating an Evolve account so you will have a username and password to use on the day you come to UALR Testing Services to take your exam. You will not be able to take the A2 through the Evolve website because you will not have the access code; UALR Testing Services has the access code necessary to start your exam.
REQUIRED to Bring on Test Day:
- Your Evolve username and password.
- UALR Department of Nursing red advising form.
- $67.00 NON-REFUNDABLE test fee. Please note that your fee will not be refunded under any circumstance.
- One unexpired Government issued photo ID. Acceptable IDs are limited to a driver’s license, passport, military ID, or a State ID issued by the Arkansas Revenue Department.
Dress in layers. A light jacket or sweater is permitted. The examination rooms are kept at a cool temperature for the comfort of all examinees. If you tend to be cold-natured, you might consider bringing a jacket or sweater. Please be aware that you will be asked to show that your pockets are completely empty before entering the test room.
You are responsible for submitting your score report to the UALR Department of Nursing; Testing Services does not submit scores.
A one page, summary, score report will be given to you immediately after you complete your exam. An eight page report will be available to you through your Evolve account within 24 to 72 hours.
For the personal comfort of all examinees, please do NOT wear cologne, scented powders, or other unnecessary fragrances. They are a distraction to other examinees, and, more importantly, some people are allergic.
You may take the A2 exam a second time. Be aware that it takes approximately 1 week to order and receive a different form of the test. Please keep this in mind when you plan your second test date.
- Contact the UALR Disability Resource Center to request that documentation of your approved accommodation(s) be electronically submitted to UALR Testing Services prior to your exam date. It cannot be hand delivered by you.
- It may take one week or more to order and receive the A2 extended time exam from the testing company. Please plan your test date accordingly.
- If you use a medical device that makes any noise whatsoever, you must inform UALR Testing Services at the time you register for the A2.
If UALR is closed, Testing Services is also closed, therefore the A2 will not be administered.
The appropriate study guide is entitled HESI Admission Assessment Exam Review, 3rd Edition by HESI
The study guide can be found by logging into your Evolve account and performing a search, through this direct Evolve link, or by searching online and purchasing from one of the online vendors.
Individual Tests within the Evolve HESI Admission Assessment (A2):
The HESI Admission Assessment Exam consists of seven academic exams, as well as a personality profile that identifies the individual applicant’s learning style. Individual scores are provided for each exam, and the scores are combined to provide subscores in these areas:
HESI Admission Assessment Test Descriptions
- Reading Comprehension (55 items)
Provides reading scenarios in order to measure reading comprehension, identifying the main idea, finding meaning of words in context, passage comprehension, making logical inferences, etc.
- Vocabulary and General Knowledge (55 items)
Contains vocabulary terms that are commonly used in both general English speaking settings and in health care fields.
- Grammar (55 items)
Contains basic grammar, including parts of speech, important terms and their uses, commonly occurring grammatical errors, etc.
- Basic Math Skills (55 items)
Focuses on math skills needed for health care fields, including basic addition, subtraction, multiplication, fractions, decimals, ratio and proportion, household measures, general math facts, etc.
- Biology (30 items)
Covers biology basics, water, biological molecules, metabolism, cells, cellular, respiration, photosynthesis, etc.
- Chemistry (30 items)
Contains test items that cover matter, chemical equations, and reactions, the periodic table, atomic structure, nuclear chemistry, chemical bonding, etc.
- Anatomy and Physiology (30 items)
Provides coverage of general terminology and anatomical structures and systems.
- Physics (30 items)
Provides coverage of physics for Radiology programs.
- Learning Style (14 items)
Assesses preferred learning style
- Personality Profile (15 items)
Assesses personality related to preferred learning style.