Five UALR students studying international business will receive $500 scholarships from Advancing Management Education (AME), a giving circle supporting the College of Business.
Faculty will choose the five recipients to receive the scholarships based on financial need and potential success in the profession. The grants will allow the students to participate in the program’s field study in Mexico in spring 2011.
The scholarships were part of a second round of grants totaling $10,225 financed by the giving circle.
Other AME grants include:
- $1,800 will support efforts by Dr. Nancy Landrum, associate professor of management, and Brian Henderson, director of career development, placement, and student services, organizing a Green Jobs Fair.
- Henderson will receive $2,000 for professional development workshops and employer mixers for students in conjunction with the Professional Edge Series.
- $500 for the Executive MBA program’s membership in its national council.
- $425 for a wireless buzzer system allowing instantaneous feedback from students for quizzes and class discussions in Dr. Thomas Tudor’s classes.
- $1,000 for the Marketing Department to support a tour of businesses in the area.
- $2,000 to sponsor a new Women in Business Lecture Series organized by Dr. Karen Hood, assistant professor of marketing and advertising. Two speakers are planned for the 2011 academic year and will be open to the public.
The AME Giving Circle, organized by Dr. Jane Wayland, associate dean of graduate programs in the College of Business, currently has 12 members and who have contributed a total of $16,225 to the college’s programs.
Charter members include: Ethel Cook, Cynthia Daily, Brenda Fulkerson, Lyn Haralson, Susan Parke, Janet Roderick, Susan Rogers, Elizabeth Small, Cynthia Taylor, and Wayland. Members meet several times a year and hear speakers recognized for business knowledge and philanthropy. They review the grant opportunities and vote on them once a year, followed by an annual award celebration.
The Executive Level for UALR alumni and friends of the College of Business is $1,000. The Leadership Level for those who have graduated from the college within five years and university affiliates is $500. For more information on joining AME, contact Will Elliott, director of development, at 501-569-3208 or firstname.lastname@example.org.