25 January 2012

Michael Warrick: Sculpture at UALR

posted by Drew Stephens

We had the chance recently to sit down with Professor Michael Warrick, the sculpture coordinator in the UALR Art Department. Visitors to the UALR gallery can view his work now through Sunday, February 26.

“Life Forms” (via MichaelWarrick.com)

The exhibit on display through Sunday, Feb. 26 is titled “Life Forms” and includes concept drawings, collaborative animation proposals, photographs, and sculpture in bronze, wood, and stone created from 2008-2011.

These pieces were created while on an off campus duty assignment from the University of Arkansas, while an artist-in-residence at the Cargo/Wheeler Studio in Clough, Northern Ireland, and while in residence at the 9th International Sculpture Symposium in Changchun, China.

Michael will also give a gallery talk at 12:45 p.m. Tuesday, Feb. 7, in the Fine Arts Building Gallery II.

Michael continues to work on a cast bronze and fabricated stainless steel sculpture that will celebrate the 100 year anniversary of the Central Arkansas Library.

Learn more about sculpture at UALR.

16 Responses to “Michael Warrick: Sculpture at UALR”

1. Jeff Smid says:

I’ve had the honor of being in Professor Warrick classroom and if you have the chance to do you please take it!

2. Klansee j. Tozer says:

Good blog Drew! Mr. Warrick is very talented and I enjoyed seeing his work. I especially liked what he said, “Art doesn’t take time. You give IT time, you invest in who you are and in your work.” A good reminder for me! :)

3. Emcees says:

Fantastic idea and work of art. I admire you Mr. Warrick.

4. Kristin says:

It was a great privilege studying sculpture under Michael – he is an extremely talented and knowledgable professor!

5. hanijey says:

Cool news

I love it

Thanks

6. IRA says:

Worth my 3:51 minutes of my life, Seing those lovely and beautiful arts.

People must stop and admire those arts.

7. Cabo says:

Art is a Natural Human Behavior.. Creating art is a primal behavior. Children, the world over, instinctively make. Every culture has art. Like language and laughter, art is a fundamental human behavior. Put very simply, art is a part of who we are. We need art because it makes us complete human beings. It is important that we keep art in the classrooms and we do not let this digital age swallow up the imagination that we are so blessed to have. The Professor is an inspiration that art is relevant and needed.

Thanks for posting!

Cabo

8. These sculptures are indeed quite something.

9. czytaj says:

10. Dan T. says:

I never understood modern art. To be honest, most of the art shown in galleries I couldn’t call them ‘art’, since this word granted a great privilege for the creator, and this privilege wasn’t deserved.
    In my eyes, what Michael did here was to take something ugly and gave it a shape and image in the viewer’s head that it truly deserves the name art.

11. Majas Lapa says:

Professor Warrick is one of the best professors I ever had and I enjoy his works. I like that he has no 1 way, but he is changing all the time. I like his interactions with students and connection.

12. feng says:

I love this man

13. Shelly says:

I wish I had some artistic ability. I’m in awe!

14. Kisah Wanita says:

Really love the way you presenting this article. Very inspirational!

15. Broadcast says:

These sculptures are indeed quite something.

16. Gamis Azka says:

he is an extremely talented and knowledgable professor! Really love the way you presenting this article. Very inspirational!