Smartphone users with Android phones can now download UALR’s mobile app, available on Google Play, linking them to classroom discussions and assignments, the latest news, a campus map, and real-time locations of the Trojan Trolley.
The UALR Android mobile app joins its counterpart from iTunes, introduced earlier this semester. Both versions offer mobile links to the Blackboard online classroom platform, the academic calendar, a campus map, the UALR news feed, faculty contacts, and a GPS tracker for the Trojan Trolley. Students, faculty, staff, and visitors can all use the free app.
“More and more people – particularly college-age people – are accessing information via their smartphones and tablets more than desktop computers,” said Peter Stuckey, associate director of Information Technology Services. “UALR Mobile puts campus information and Blackboard classes in the palm of students’ hands.”
Features of UALR Mobile include:
- A directory of faculty email listings that will save contacts in the user’s phone address book.
- A campus map
- A direct link to the Trolley Tracker gives a phone user a GPS look at where the trolley is located in real time and when it will arrive at a designated stop.
- A campus news feed from the Office of Communications.
- Instant access to all Blackboard Learn content on the go.
- A course catalog that includes class times, locations, and more.
- The academic calendar.
- The entire UALR library catalog, including check item availability.
- ‘‘Images” provides the ability to search, browse, download, and share images from the UALR collections.
- Athletics provides news, schedules, and features on Trojan teams.
- Video features the latest events from around campus, as well as special interviews and highlights.
- A “Help” button provides access to important numbers.
Development of UALR Mobile was a collaboration among several UALR offices – Scholarly Technology and Resources, the Office of Communications, and Information Technology Services – partnering with Blackboard Mobile.