4 January 2013

The Year That Was

posted by Jennifer Godwin

I came to UALR in May as the new web communications manager. My first day on the job consisted of the normal paperwork/initiation tasks, but a funny thing happened on the way to HR. It involved contorting balloons into what I now know is a buckytube formation for the next day’s nano building grand opening. Then and there, I realized that this would be no ordinary job.

For me, 2012 was about the rewarding experiences of the new. In a lot of ways, our university had a very similar year, from new buildings and new gatherings of old friends to new faces and new grads. Let’s look back at the year that was:

The aforementioned buckytube.

Gov. Mike Beebe taking a tour of the new nanotechnology building in May.

A special group of grads at the spring commencement.

A front row to history: Members of the Little Rock Nine at the Civil Rights Heritage Commemoration in July.

We break out the big scissors once again – this time at the Student Services Center.

New faces - Dr. Dean Kahler, vice chancellor of enrollment management, and Dr. Zulma Toro-Ramos, provost.

The Trojan Grill opened for business in October. Yum!

Our faculty excellence winners in 2012: Dr. Ann Robinson, Dr. James Levernier, and Dr. Mark Giese.

Our Donaghey Scholars Program is celebrating 25 years. No wonder all of these students are excited.

The food drive spearheaded by Chancellor's Leadership Corps brought in more than 6,000 pounds of food to help those in need.

This LAN party photo takes me back to my college days.

The College of Business continued its success in 2012.

The trolley clanged clanged clanged onto campus in 2012. I love this photo of our chancellor on the inaugural ride.

One Response to “The Year That Was”

1. Our Son graduated last year December 20th fro UALR We are so proud of him the University and the whole faculty and students. Kudos from Dallas.