6 February 2013

How I Work: Office of Communications

posted by Meaghan Milliorn

I came across this blog post idea from another higher ed blog. I love to peek inside others’ lives, so I thought there might be people out there who feel the same and just might want to look inside my life. We plan to continue with this theme and invite others on campus to tell us how they work.

Where do you work? You can find me in the Office of Communications, where I am the Web Communications Specialist.

Describe the view from your desk. I’m very fortunate to have my own office. I don’t have any windows, but I can look out my door and see out the windows in the front of the building, so that helps. I have lots of quotes printed out – some funny and some inspirational. I also have pictures of my family around my desk along with some artwork my creative little boy made me.

What do you listen to at work? I have a few Pandora stations I like to listen to. They range from the ’80s, ’90s pop, disco, Ray LaMontagne, Hall and Oates, and Rod Stewart. Sometimes I just like to work in silence, though.

What is your favorite to-do list manager? I use Google for both my personal and professional calendars. That keeps up with the bigger tasks like meetings and events. I also use a traditional planner. For day-to-day tasks, I have a memo pad. I love to cross things off, with a black pen of course. I’m also a very big fan of colored post-its. I have them all around my computer monitor to help me remember things.

What is your work schedule? I have an 8 to 5 schedule, but with my job the day almost never ends at 5. Since I run the university’s official Facebook and Twitter accounts, I check them in the evenings at home and on the weekends. So work always follows me home. I don’t mind this, however, because if a student has a question about something, I think it’s important to get back to them as soon as possible.

Besides your phone and computer, what gadget can’t you live without? My iPad.

PC or Mac? I have a Mac at work, but a PC at home.

Favorite workday snack? I always, always start my day with coffee. I also have a sweet tooth, so any candy during the day is good.