14 October 2013

Rock for the Cure

posted by Meaghan Milliorn

Our guest post this week comes from Kim Tran, assistant director of academic advising.

We’re so excited that this October marks the fourth year for UALR’s Race for the Cure team, Rock for the Cure!

The 2013 race will be held at 8 a.m. Saturday, Oct. 19, in downtown Little Rock.

UALR race for the cure

The UALR Rock for the Cure team was formed in 2010, and was started as a way to help build the capacity of our first year students in coordination with the first year experience, and to rally the many various groups around a common health cause.

I have gone into classrooms and asked if anyone knew someone that had been affected by breast cancer – about half of the class in any given room would raise their hands. So, yes, this does matter.

ualr race for the cure

Over the past three years, we have raised more than $7,500 in support of the Susan G. Komen foundation. Pretty impressive if you ask me.

We encourage all faculty, staff, and students to get involved as it’s a way to help raise awareness and funds for a cause that matters. This race shows that you can make a BIG impact and still have fun!

This year, we’re having a Race Rally on Wednesday, Oct. 16 to get everyone excited about the race. We’ll have a table where you can decorate a tribute card or make your own button, learn about cancer screening opportunities, hear the UALR Concert Choir sing, and listen to author and comedic performer Tania Katan. Stop by from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. in DSC rooms A and B.

rock cure2

Please contact me at kttran@ualr.edu or 569-8685 if you have any questions. We hope to see you bright and early Saturday morning!

4 Responses to “Rock for the Cure”

1. Kelley Adams says:

Hi. My son McKinley, attends classes at UALR, and I am a 5 year Survivor. I get tears in my eyes when I see groups of people who are so supportive and giving to the fight against this horrible disease that affects so many women. I just want to say THANKS! And I would love to get one of your t-shirts if you have any for sale. Just let me know at this address. Or you can call me at 501-350-8406.
    Thanks for your support!
    Kelley Adams

2. Meaghan Milliorn says:

Hi Kelley, yes there are some shirts available and Kim Tran (the author of this post) is going to hold one for you. She should be contacting you shortly. Thank-you for reading and sharing your story with us.

3. Uni says:

congratulations! I am very proud for you, awesome read stories like this
    thanks for the post

4. Se says:

wow!! Is a great group, is spectacular know this!