Many members of the UALR campus family are saddened by the loss of life and property in central Arkansas following the tornadoes on Sunday, April 27.
Faculty, staff, and students interested in contributing to disaster relief efforts have been active since the Monday following the tornadoes, and The Chancellor’s Leadership Corps is coordinating the university’s efforts.
The first delivery of needed items took place Friday, May 2. The final delivery will take place at 11 a.m. Friday, May 9. Items can be brought to the Donaghey Student Center, outside the bookstore.
Ongoing efforts at UALR:
- Basic toiletry items, shoes for toddlers and children, and coloring books and children’s books are being collected.
- There is also a need for work gloves, ice-chests with ice, and gas to support the generators and chainsaws.
- UALR Housing is accepting canned food in the commons areas of East and West Halls.
- Kappa Sigma is collecting canned food, blankets, and other emergency supplies at their house on campus.
- Pi Kappa Alpha is collecting donations and all money will go towards the families affected by the storm.
- Flashlights, batteries, trash bags, gloves, paper towels, toilet paper, towels, blankets, sheets, dog/cat food, and medical supplies may be brought to the UALR Aquatics Lab.
- Flashlights, batteries, toiletry items, feminine hygiene items, diapers, and formula are also being collected on the first floor of the UALR Bowen School of Law school. In addition, cat and dog food, tarps, and blankets are being accepted in conjunction with the Faulkner County Society for the Prevention of the Cruelty to Animals.
- UALR law school alumni and law students are also invited to help with legal support to victims of the tornado. Contact Terry Harrison at the law clinic, firstname.lastname@example.org.
- West Pulaski County needs: gas cards, plastic gas cans, tarps, flashlights and batteries, work gloves, heavy plastic bags, plastic tubs, and zip-lock bags.
For those able to assist in the clean-up and recovery efforts, view these check-in locations:
- Mayflower – Check-in at Mayflower City Hall, 2 Ashmore Street, Mayflower, AR.
- Vilonia – Check-in at Beryl Baptist Church, 873 US 64 Business, Vilonia, AR; or Oak Bowery Baptist Church, 889 Otto Road, Conway, AR.
- West Pulaski County – Volunteers are being coordinated at the Ferndale Extension center and at Pleasant Grove Baptist Church – both located at Kanis and Ferndale Cutoff roads.
For questions regarding the donations and other ways to help, contact Nick Steele, CLC coordinator, at email@example.com or call 501.569.8240. Contact Meaghan Milliorn at firstname.lastname@example.org to add a location/effort to this list.