Skip to the page content Skip to primary navigation Skip to the search form Skip to the audience-based navigation Skip to the site tools and log-in Information about website accessibility

University of Arkansas at Little Rock

Pre-med student earns $1,000 to study abroad in Nicaragua

A Spanish and biology double major at UALR is one of 50 students to earn a $1,000 Study Abroad Grant from Phi Kappa Phi Honor Society.

Autumn Brown of Little Rock will use the grant to participate in the UALR Summer Language Program in Nicaragua, led again this year by Dr. Erin Finzer of UALR’s Department of International and Second Language Studies.

Autumn Brown“Autumn is an excellent pre-med student who wants to use Spanish to better serve her future patients in Central Arkansas, and she is completing a medical interpreting internship in Spanish this fall,” Finzer said.

Brown said her goal is to become a bilingual pediatrician.

“I’ve been taking Spanish courses since my freshman year of high school, and I love the language, so I would like to be able to treat Hispanic patients as well as English speakers,” she said.

“By studying abroad and earning six hours of college credit for Spanish, I hope to get much further along in the fluency I need to reach this goal,” Brown added.

“Improving my Spanish speaking skills while being immersed in a completely different culture in Nicaragua makes this an even more exciting trip for me,” said Brown, who loves to travel.

Only high-achieving students with a grade point average of at least 3.75 are eligible to apply for the Phi Kappa Phi grant.

Brown is a member of the Chancellor Leadership Corps and the African American Female Initiative at UALR. She is also a member of University Science Scholars Program and a Louis Stokes Alliance for Minority Participation Associate.

“Those things have made my experience at UALR even more memorable and meaningful,” she said referring to the CLC and AAFI programs.