The 2014-15 UALR Alumni Association scholarship recipients were feted at the Bailey Alumni Center over the summer and given the opportunity to mingle with some of the namesake donors who helped make their individual scholarships possible.
“Our scholarships provide the cornerstone of the UALR Alumni Association, enabling us to attract and retain outstanding students,” said Christian O’Neal, associate vice chancellor for alumni and development.
“Hosting an event for the scholarship recipients to thank their donors in person is the best way we know to show appreciation for those who have invested in these students and our university,” he said.
Each recipient wrote a scholarship essay reflecting the difference they hope to make as a result of completing a degree at UALR.
Skylar Whitaker, a senior sociology major and recipient of the Alfred L. Williams Endowed Alumni Scholarship, hopes to eventually mentor college students who may be troubled, depressed, or contemplating suicide.
During the event earlier this summer, Whitaker was able to visit with Williams and thank him in person for the scholarship, which was established by his wife, Elaine Eubank, in his honor. Eubank also has an endowed scholarship named in her honor.
“My goal is to create an altogether happier, friendlier community where students feel that whenever they need a helping hand, one is available,” Whitaker said.
Students may apply for the alumni scholarship online. For additional information, call 501.683.7208.
The newest scholars include:
• Micah Moore, Owen W. Parker Sr. and Merrily Parker Endowed Scholarship
• Kristyn Scott, Alumni Merit Scholarship
• Taurine Main, Elaine Eubank Endowed Scholarship
• Robyn Oglesby, Owen W. Parker Sr. and Merrily Parker Endowed Scholarship
• Morgan Miller, Alumni Merit Scholarship
• Skyler Whitaker, Alfred L. Williams Endowed Alumni Scholarship
• Lafayette DeRamus, John A. Larson Endowed Scholarship
• Sydney Sample, E. Grainger and Frances B. Williams Endowed Scholarship
• Natalie McCandless, The Bailey Family Leadership Scholarship
Keep up with what’s happening; Subscribe to UALR Now.