The Communication Skill Center (CSC) in the Department of Applied Communication helps take the panic out of public speaking! The CSC is a free student resource devoted to helping with all stages of the speech creation process. Our services include, but are not limited to: managing anxiety, brainstorming, conducting research, organizing content, adapting messages to audiences, integrating effective presentational aids such as PowerPoint and Prezi, as well as one-on-one video coaching. Stop by the CSC and leave a more comfortable, confident speaker! Appointments are available and walk-ins are always welcome. Check us out on Facebook: Click Here
If you think the CSC is the place for you, check out our undergraduate and graduate internship/volunteer/work study qualifications:
- Strong written and oral communication skills
- Google Drive and Microsoft Word & PowerPoint proficiency
- B or better in SPCH/ACOM 1300 (or transfer equivalent) and instructor reference
- Ideal but not required: B or better in an additional Applied Communication course (ideally SPCH/ACOM 3320: Advanced Public Speaking/Persuasive Presentations)
- B or better in SPCH/ACOM 7352: Organizational Communication Training (or comparable pedagogy course or experience)
Internship/Volunteer/Work Study Requirements:
- Interview with and approval of the CSC Director
- Required one-day orientation session the Friday before classes start each semester
- Interns: 10 hours a week scheduled in the CSC assisting students, faculty, campus, and the community (~150 hours/semester);
- Volunteers: 4 hours a week minimum commitment preferred;
- Work Study: hours coordinated with Director
- Weekly Staff Meeting: noon to 1pm Friday
- Interns only: Assigned course work and End-of-semester portfolio evaluation
- May fulfill 3 upper-level elective credit hours for your SPCH/ACOM major or minor, or general 3/4000 upper level electives.
- Internship is repeatable to fulfill upper-level electives required for graduation.
Why work in the CSC? Here’s what some of the CSC staff had to say:
- It’s a great experience to add to your résumé.
- You will gain the professional experience required in corporate America while working for the CSC.
- Through your time in the CSC you develop invaluable relationships with staff, faculty, and fellow students.
- You can expand on your strengths and improve on your weaknesses.
If you are interested in applying for this exciting opportunity, please complete the Application Form