Once a CRN/course fills up and closes, students may add their names to the waitlist (if one is offered for the course). Whether or not a class has a waitlist is determined by the department offering the course and not all courses can support a waitlist. Courses that have a waitlist are designated by values greater than zero (0) in the Waitlist columns on the “Register/Search for Classes” page in BOSS. The column headings are WL Cap (waitlist capacity), WL Act (current number of students on the waitlist), and WL Rem (waitlist slots remaining). These column headings appear to the left of the Instructor column.
If a course has a waitlist, and a student who is currently enrolled drops the course or if the department raises the class limit, the next eligible student on the waitlist is notified ONLY by an email sent to their UALR email address. The email will inform the student a seat is now open, gives them a specific length of time (usually 24 hours) to log into BOSS and register for the course. If the student does not register within this time period, their name is removed from the waitlist. At this point, the next eligible student is notified.
Waitlisting Courses with Corequisites
If you would like to enroll in a course which has a corequisite (typically science lab and lecture courses), you must enroll in both courses at the same time for the computer to recognize the corequisite. Therefore, you may not enroll in a lecture, and only waitlist in the lab. In order to waitlist a corequisite course, you must first be fully enrolled in the pair of courses meeting the corequisite requirements, then waitlist the desired course.
Procedure for Waitlisting in a Course
- Find the CRN (Course Reference Number) of the course for which you wish to be waitlisted.
- Go to the “Add or Drop Classes” option on the Registration Tools channel on BOSS.
- Enter the CRN in one of the boxes and click on Submit.
- You will see the error message, “No seats are available at this time. There are XX students in the waitlist. To join the waitlist, select Waitlisted from the Action drop-down menu to the right and then click the Submit Changes button. You should be able to join the waitlist, provided there are no conflicts or holds preventing you from doing so.
- Please Note: All holds must be cleared and registration requirements must be met before entering a waitlist.
- Click on Waitlist Image #1 below.
Procedure for Moving from a Waitlist to Registered in the Course
- If the course opens up and you are the next eligible student on the waitlist, an email will be sent to your UALR email account.
- Follow the directions in the email and login to BOSS.
- Go to the “Add or Drop Classes” option on the Registration menu in BOSS. If you are currently enrolled in another section of the same class, you must first drop the other section before switching to the newly available course.
- Click on the drop down box for the course for which you are now eligible to enroll.
- Select Web Registered and click Submit Changes.
- Please Note: All holds and registration restrictions must be cleared before enrolling in the course.
- Click on Waitlist Image #2 below.
Procedure for Removing Yourself from a Waitlist
- Go to the “Add or Drop Classes” option on the Registration menu in BOSS.
- Click on the drop down arrow on the course you wish to remove.
- Choose Drop Course and click on Submit Changes.
Waitlist Error Messages
- “No seats are available at this time. The waitlist is currently full.” This message means all seats in the course are taken and the waitlist has no spots available.
- “Open seats are reserved for students in the waitlist. The waitlist is currently full.” This message means currently open seats in the course are only available to students in the waitlist. The waitlist is full at this time.
- “No seats are available at this time. There are XX student(s) in the waitlist. To join the waitlist, select “Waitlisted” from the drop-down menu to the right then click the ‘Submit Changes’ button. This message means the course has no available seats, but there are spots available in the waitlist. See the procedures for waitlisting in a course above.
- Open seats are for those in the waitlist. There are XX waitlisted students. To join the waitlist, select “Waitlisted” from the drop-down menu to the right and then click the “Submit Changes” button. This message means there are currently open seats in the course and they are only available to students on the waitlist. See the procedures for waitlisting in a course above.
- Waitlist Notification Expired on DD-MON-YYYY. This message means the deadline for when a student was supposed to have registered for an open seat in a course has already occurred. This message only appears once this time has passed.
- Not all courses will have a waitlist.
- Students cannot be added to a waitlist until the course is closed. Students will not be added to a waitlist in anticipation that the course will be classed once their registration time arrives.
- All holds, prerequisites and other registration restrictions are checked and must be met or cleared before a student is allowed to enter the waitlist. Plan ahead: most holds cannot be cleared outside normal UALR working hours and if you can’t clear the hold, you may lose your slot and have to start over.
- Being waitlisted in a course does not guarantee you will eventually have a seat in the course.
- The time limit for changing your status from waitlist to registered is 24 hours. This is a very short time window. If you are waitlisted for a course which you think may open, please be prepared to monitor your UALR email account frequently.
- No exceptions will be made for students who do not register for the class within the time period stated in the notification email. Students signing up on a waitlist must pay close attention to their email account. No exceptions includes the following: a) BOSS is not available, b) the student was out of town on an emergency, c) the student’s computer crashed, d) Arkansas ice storms, or e) the student never received the email.
- Waitlisting is only available during Priority and Regular Registration. Waitlisting is not available during Late Registration.
*Adapted from the UALR College of Business