Spotlight on Babatunji Ogunjobi, Business Information Student graduating with 4.0 GPA

Babatunji Ogunjobi file photoBabatunji “Ted” Ogunjobi is graduating this month with a master’s degree in business information systems from UA Little Rock and a perfect 4.0 GPA. 

Even though he had previously founded three startup companies, Ogunjobi had never joined a business program before UA Little Rock.

“I chose the Business Information Systems Program because the curriculum blends acquiring business management and technology skills relevant for the technology driven world we live in today,” he said.

A native of Nigeria, Ogunjobi is putting his business skills and entrepreneurial mindset to good use as a senior business program manager at Microsoft.

“There I will join the team in the quest to build products that empower every individual and organization in the world,” Ogunjobi said.

Tell us about yourself.

My name is Babatunji Ogunjobi, but most people call me Ted. I grew up in Lagos, Nigeria, and lived there for 31 years. My first degree was a bachelor’s degree in engineering in information and communication technology, which I obtained in 2012 from Covenant University, Nigeria. I am very entrepreneurial, having previously founded three startups.

In 2019, after having worked in Nigeria for six years at an insurance company, I decided to leave to acquire a Master of Science degree in Business Information Systems at UA little Rock. I also wanted to gather more knowledge and apply my skills to organizations on a more global scale. I will be graduating from this program with distinction and a 4.0 GPA.

How do you feel about your upcoming graduation?

I am very excited. This degree is coming nine years after I obtained my first college degree and 15 years after I was refused a visa to study in the U.S. because the consular officer said I was a mediocre student.

I am glad I am graduating against all odds with distinction. I have received different awards and scholarships along the way including:

1. 2019 UA Little Rock International Students Scholarship Award
  2. 2020 National Sales Network Leadership Award
  3. 2020 National Society of Black Engineers Apex Scholar Award
  4. 2020 Grad Cohort for the Underrepresented Minorities and Persons with Disabilities Workshop by the Computer Research Association
  5. 2021 National Society of Black Engineers BCA/Affiliate/ Fellows Scholarship

Why did you choose UA Little Rock?

I chose UA Little Rock originally because of the international student diversity, graduate assistantship opportunities, affordable cost of living in Little Rock, the Business School’s AACSB certification, and huge research base through centers like COSMOS and ASBTDC.

Why did you choose to study business information systems?

I had spent the last decade gathering technology skills and spent some time building startups/businesses. However, I had never formally enrolled for a business program. I chose Business Information Systems because the curriculum blends acquiring business management and technology skills relevant for the technology driven world we live in today.

What teachers inspired you at UA Little Rock?

All of my teachers were great. I am especially thankful to Dr. Robert Michell, Dr. Sung-Kwam Kim, Dr. Karen Leonard, and Dr. Alan Boss.

What do you plan to do after graduation?

Babatunji “Ted” Ogunjobi is graduating this month with a master’s degree in business information systems from UA Little Rock and a perfect 4.0 GPA.
Babatunji “Ted” Ogunjobi

This June I will be commencing work at Microsoft as a senior business program manager. There I will join the team in the quest to build products that empower every individual and organization in the world.

Did you participate in any extracurricular or service activities?

I was a member of the Association for Information Systems, UA Little Rock Chapter. I was also a digital decoder volunteer with Amnesty International.

What is your favorite memory of UA Little Rock?

The opportunity to meet students from diverse cultures and taste cuisines from different countries especially at Karl Lenser’s Friday lunch for international students. This made my first year here very memorable.

What advice would you give to future students?

UA Little Rock is a great place to achieve your educational goals. The student base is very diverse, the curriculum is top notch, and the university provides a pedestal for the audacious to achieve the impossible.

Is there anything else you’d like to add?

I was a summer scholar intern for HP in 2020, and I interned at First Orion Corporation in Little Rock as a product analyst between January and April 2021.

On campus, I worked as a graduate research assistant within the Records and Registration department for Malissa Mathis, registrar, and Dana Steele, associate registrar. Their managerial styles were worthy of emulation, and I gained a lot of knowledge working for them.

To learn more about the Business Information Systems program, please visit: https://ualr.edu/bis/

Posted in: Business Information Systems, News, Student Spotlight