All Cardboard Boat teams/organizations must register via IM Leagues at imleagues.com
- Corrugated cardboard
- Elmer’s wood glue
- Liquid nails
- Duct tape
- Water-based paint
- Cardboard manufactured for shipping (waxed, weather sealed, rolled, pressed, reinforced, etc.) is not allowed
- Fiberglass resins and plastic epoxies
- Foam core boards or Styrofoam
- Pasteboard or chipboard types of cardboard
- Non-corrugated cardboard
- Cardboard that has been factory coated with wax
- Metal foils
- Boats must be made entirely of corrugated cardboard and propelled by human power using paddles, oars, etc. (canoe and kayak paddles or oars are allowed, plastic only).
- Boat inspections and captains meeting are at 12:15 p.m. and the Regatta starts at 12:30 p.m. sharp.
- Boats and team members may not intentionally interfere with any other team or boat (failure to comply with this will result in immediate disqualification).
- All boats must be staffed with two team members.
- The judges reserve the right to tear apart and/or inspect any boat.
- Boats will have to maneuver a 25-meter (approx.) loop course in the DSC pool.
- Competitors must remain in the boat to complete the event.
- All teams must completely dispose of their boats after the completion of the event in the outside waste container.
- You cannot wrap the entire boat with plastic or duct tape, or any similar tape or wrap. Duct tape can only be used at the seams and stress points. However, you are allowed to reinforce all seams and stress points with tape before waterproofing.
- Boats may not exceed more than 1-inch of cardboard thickness.
- Contestants should take care to ensure that the construction of your boat does not include pointed projections and sharp edges that might cause personal injury.
Awards will be presented at the Cardboard Boat Regatta for the following:
- Pride of the Regatta – This is awarded to the organization that has the most creative design and/or best use of cardboard.
- Best Dressed Team – This is awarded to the organization with the most creative or elaborate team uniforms/costumes.
- Team Spirit Award – This awarded to the most spirited team.
- Titanic Award – This is awarded to the organization with the most spectacular or dramatic sink.