Yvette Palmer

Advisor for:

Humanities and Arts students with less than 45 earned hours

Contact: 

yppalmer@ualr.edu
501-916-5639
Fine Arts 262

Yvette Palmer is a native of Louisiana and received her BA in Social Work from Louisiana College. She attended Southwestern Baptist Theological Seminary in Fort Worth, Texas where she received her Master of Divinity degree. 

Yvette was the part-time Baptist Collegiate Ministry (BCM) Director on the campus of LSU-Eunice for 10 years, and then she was the BCM Director for LSU-Alexandria for another seven years. These positions helped her to use the skills that she had learned in social work in listening and counseling as she sought to minister students with different needs. Her theological education helped in ministry. 

She moved to Little Rock in 2006, and due to her passion for working with college students, she began a career in academic advising. Once again, her listening skills came into play as it was primarily a phone advising position. In 2011, she transitioned to UA Little Rock where she has served as an academic advisor for the past 10 years. Having a Bachelor’s of Arts degree has served her well in knowing how to relate to students, how to be a good listener, how to be a team player, and how to have excellent reading and writing skills. 

Yvette says: 

“My educational journey was a great benefit to my current career. I am so grateful for my mother’s philosophy, which was: ’It is not a matter of ‘if’ you go to college, but ‘when’ you go to college!’

On a personal note, I have been an Arkansan for 15 years. This is a beautiful state with some wonderful people! I love Little Rock with all the amenities that I need but with a hometown feel. I love that Arkansas is the Natural State. I love the state parks and myriad of hiking trails. I have been blessed beyond measure to end up here!”

Posted in: About Us, Advisors