Faculty Spotlight: Earnest Cox

Faculty Spotlight: Earnest Cox

Dr. Earnest Cox, a Rhetoric and Writing professor, was a first-generation college student at UA Little Rock in the 90s. He returned to UALR in 1999, as a part of the UA Little Rock TEAMS (Teaching Enhancements Affecting Minority Students) fellowship. He has now been with us nineteen years.

“It has been great contributing and giving back to the institution that has given so much to me,” Cox said. “I hope I can help encourage my students the way that my writing professors encouraged me.”

During his first semester at UA Little Rock in 1986, Cox recalls being assigned the late Fanye Porter as his advisor.

“Mrs. Porter was a guiding influence on me as a student,” Cox said. “I will take Fanye Porter’s lessons and her model of dedication to serving students with me for the rest of my life.”

Cox, who received his Ph.D. in English-composition and Rhetoric, is also an author. He has written two books titled Chocolate Cheesecake: Celebrating the Modern Black Pin-Up and Chocolate Cheesecake 2: A Second Serving of Modern Black Pin-ups.

His first book caught the attention of TV and film producer, Lee Daniels’ production company. The company used some of the photographers’ work featured in the book in the hit FOX TV show Star.

Cox hopes to write a third installment if the book series that focuses on the ceremonial rhetoric exhibited in modern black pin-up photography.

He also is working on a memoir about his childhood in South Little Rock.

“I hope to gather oral histories from some of the long-time residents of the community,” Cox said.

To a younger Earnest:

“Always remember to maintain balance in your life: a balance between your studies, your work, your family, and yourself,” Cox said. “They are all important, but seeking a balance in those things leads to a more fulfilling life.”

Posted in: Faculty Spotlight
Read more about: , , ,