Student Spotlight: Ebené Givan

Please meet Ebené Givan, a recipient of The Last Mile Scholarship.

Ebené Givan is an Applied Communications major from Dermott, Arkansas. In December 2019, Ebené Givan will be graduating with plans to enter an Applied Communication Masters Program.

What is your current career and hobbies?

“I am currently a Program Coordinator for the Research Division at UAMS. I am also a certified life coach. In my spare time, I love to spend time with my two children, cook familiar recipes, and attempt to create new ones! I love reading and word searches and all competitive baking shows. ”

How has The Last Mile Scholarship helped you?

“Receiving The Last Mile Scholarship has been life-changing for me. Being a single mother, I am able to focus on my other financial obligations while not having the burden of paying out of pocket for class as I have done my previous semesters. By obtaining my Bachelor’s, I am creating a better way to provide for my family, and this scholarship opportunity is helping me reach my goal.”

What are your plans following graduation?

“It has been a dream of mine, to teach communication skills to adolescent children to prevent suicide, to encourage school retention and defuse bullying in the school district. I plan to receive a second Masters in Counseling Education.”

Posted in: Student Spotlight