April 25, 2008
Members that where present Dean’s Office: Â R. Bruhn
Applied Science: Â A. Bhattacharya, H. Al Shukri, A. Biris, Q. He,Â A. Wright, C. Ye
Computer Science:Â S. Minsker,Â Â F. Milanova,Â S. Geoghegan, J. Perkins, C. Bayrak
Construction Mgt:Â M. Tramel,Â J. Carr, M. Tramel, H. Xie, B. Burks (student rep)
Engineering Tech:Â M. Bakr, P. Tschumi,Â G. Tebbetts, S. Midturi
Information Science:Â N. Wu, S. Jennings, V. Ravindrakumar (student rep), C. Lowrey, S. Harvey, M. Howe, L. Pierce, E. Tudoreanu, T. Wallace
Systems Engineering:Â S. Mohan, Y. Chan,Â J. Zhang, N. Jovanovic, X. Liu, I. Nisanci,Â R. Reddy, J. Xi
Started at 11 am
- Approval of prior Assembly Meeting Minutes.
- Chairs report departmental reps to EIT Committees for ’08-’09
- Election of Assembly Officers and EIT Representatives to University committees
- Appeals Tenure:Â Ningning Wu, Menhart Steve
- EIT Press:Â Jennings S.
- EIT PAR:Â Tschumi, P.
- EIT SECY:Â He, Q.
- EIT VP:Â Ray, C.
- FAC SENATE:Â Tschumi, P., Tudoreanu, Chan Y.
- UG COUNCIL:Â Xie
- GRADUATE COUNCIL: Jennings S
- Committee on Committees:Â Carr
- Tenure Committee:Â Wu
- Appeals Council:Â Menhart
- Short break for lunch; meeting continuee after everyone got food
- Update on Assembly Initiatives on Research Clusters and Research Infrastructure
- Dr. Bruhn presented the justification for the IFSC 2200 and suggests adding this course to the EIT core.
- Dr. Jovanovich presented his case against the proposal. Discussion continuedÂ “for”ÂÂ and “against”Â.
- AÂ friendly amendment by Pete Tschumi:Â “the EIT College Assembly approves adding a two-credit-hour ethics course to the curriculum and adding it to the EIT core in the category of ‘Fine Arts/Humanities (5-6 hours)’ with the understanding that it is the decision of the departments whether or not to include it in the major requirements.”
- Motion passed, Yes 35, No 6, and Abstain 1.
- Andrew Wright’s motion on course duplication, suggested formation of an ad hoc committee to study the core curriculum. Motion did not pass.
- Motion to end discussion, passed.
Adjournment at 12:55 PM.