The faculty of the English Department have adopted this mission statement and 5 primary learning outcomes for our majors:
The UA Little Rock Department of English seeks to increase understanding, knowledge, and appreciation of the English language and its literatures and cultures. We aim to produce scholarship that enhances current discussions in our discipline as well as creative work that importantly engages with contemporary circumstances. In our scholarly activities and in teaching practices, we emphasize active reading, clear writing, creative expression, and critical thinking. We foster active learning with students through invigorating instruction, close mentorship, and opportunities for research activity, creative projects, and practical internships. It is our highest priority to welcome UA Little Rock’s dynamic blend of traditional and non-traditional students into our learning community.
Graduates from our program will be able to:
- demonstrate an understanding of important texts, authors, movements or contexts that have shaped English literary traditions.
- discuss important texts, authors and movements that have contributed to cultural, racial, ethnic, or gender diversity in the English literary tradition.
- analyze texts through the application of critical methodologies.
- develop literary or expository arguments in writing.
- collect and use primary and/or secondary resources to support and develop literary, linguistic or cultural analysis.