Degrees and Certificates Offered
Master of Arts
Program Coordinator Contact Information
Dr. Karen Kuralt
Please contact Dr. Kuralt, the program coordinator, for semester-specific deadlines.
Admission Requirements to be sent directly to the PTW program coordinator:
Applicants are strongly urged to contact the coordinator before completing the application process.
- Statement of purpose explaining applicant’s interest and background in writing and outlining the applicant’s expectations and goals with regard to the program
- Current résumé
- Writing portfolio indicative of applicant’s range, ability, interests, and style (may contain work completed in college courses, writing from the workplace, and/or freelance work): three to four pieces.
- A cover letter introducing and providing context for the writing samples
- Three letters of recommendations
Official transcripts should be sent to the Graduate School.
Applicants will be considered for regular admission if they have achieved a cumulative GPA of 3.0 or better on a previous baccalaureate or graduate degree, or if they have achieved a GPA of 3.0 or better on their last 60 hours of coursework. The quality of the applicant’s writing- including the statement of purpose, writing samples, and cover piece- is a major factor in the admissions decision, along with the applicant’s references.
Applicants will be considered for conditional admission if they have achieved a cumulative GPA between 2.7 and 3.0 on a previous baccalaureate or graduate degree, or if they have achieved a GPA between 2.7 and 3.0 on their last 60 hours of coursework. Some applicants with GPAs higher than 3.0 may be conditionally admitted based on the admission committee’s evaluation of the writing samples and references.
Special Conditional Admission
Applicants with a GPA between 2.0 and 2.69 who demonstrate extraordinary potential for achievement may petition the MA admission committee for special consideration.
Applicants must discuss and provide evidence regarding two or more of the following criteria as part of their petition:
- GPA in previous writing courses
- Amount of time elapsed since the previous degree (5+ years recommended)
- Professional experience in writing, teaching, or editing
- Professional accomplishments that demonstrate the applicant’s abilities with respect to time management or focused, intensive study
- Extraordinary circumstances related to the low overall GPA
See website for more information