Degrees and Certificates Offered
Master of Education and Graduate Certificate
Program Coordinator Contact Information
Dr. Judith Hayn
Please also see specific admission requirements for the Initial Licensure Track and the subject advisor for content area-specific admissions requirements.
- Baccalaureate degree from a regionally accredited institution with a cumulative GPA of at least 2.75 (4.0 scale)
- Grade point average of 3.0 for the last 60 hours of undergraduate courses
- Grade point average 3.0 in the content major
- Master’s degree from a regionally accredited institution with a cumulative GPA of at least 3.0.
- Baccalaureate degree from a regionally accredited institution; a cumulative undergraduate GPA of no lower than a 2.5; and a General Record Exam (GRE) score of at least 144 on the Verbal Scale, 141 on the Quantitative Scale, and 3.5 on the Analytical Writing Scale
- Completion of at least 12 semester hours of graduate course work in another UALR graduate program or graduate program from another regionally accredited college or university with a cumulative GPA of at least 3.0 and no grade lower than a B.
Initial Licensure Track Admission Requirements
(In addition to the requirements for regular or conditional admission)
- Baccalaureate or equivalent degree in one of the following teaching specialty areas: art; drama/speech; English language arts; life/earth science; physical/earth science; mathematics; vocal music; business technology; social studies; health and physical education, music, art, or foreign language; subject to areas approved by the Arkansas Department of Education.
- Graduate Record Examination (GRE) scores as required by the Graduate School. Please note: If you are applying for Conditional Admission to the Initial Licensure Track because your grade point average is lower than a 2.75 (but no lower than a 2.5), you must take the Verbal, Quantitative, and Analytical Writing sections of the GRE.
- Praxis CORE scores of 150 in mathematics, 156 in reading, and 162 in writing
- Candidates who have completed the baccalaureate degree and lack no more than 12 hours in the specialty area may be admitted to the program and may complete deficiencies concurrently with a master’s program.
- Interview with faculty.
Legal Requirements Prior to Field or Internship Placements
Students who apply to the Secondary Education program must complete the following requirements and submit documentation to the Field Placement Office in the College of Education and Health Professions prior to field or internship placements:
- Proof of liability insurance. This insurance is provided through the School Workers Defense Program or by joining the Student Arkansas Education Association (SAEA).
- A negative tuberculosis test (Health card is available through the Arkansas Department of Health).
- Criminal records check: state civil record check must be completed and submitted to advisor.
- Completion of the Criminal Background Disclosure
- Before being recommended for licensure and placement, candidates must complete a criminal records check, state civil record check, and FBI record check. The student is responsible for the fees associated with these checks.
See website for more information