Summer Internship at Walmart turns into a Lifelong Memory for MSIQ Student Vinay Artham

Vinay Artham is a student in the Master of Science in Information Quality (MSIQ) degree program at the University of Arkansas at Little (UALR).

FullSizeRenderVinay found out about the Information Quality Program through a friend, who was already enrolled in the program. His friend inspired him to join. According to Vinay “It is pretty amazing to study in the US and to be enrolled in a great academic program like the MSIQ Program. I am sure we are in the right place for opportunities (the USA) to pursue our dreams and to get the opportunity to excel academically as well as professionally.  Even better, I had the opportunity to participate in a summer internship with Walmart, the world’s largest retailer. During my internship in Bentonville, Arkansas, I worked in their e-commerce/retail technology division.”

Vinay is originally from India. In 2010, he completed his Bachelor’s Degree in Electronics and Communication Engineering from Jawaharlal Nehru Technological University in Hyderabad. He then worked for Infosys Technologies Ltd as a Software Engineer for five years. “Infosys work experience has shaped my professional life and I learnt a new set of technical and professional skills. I had worked on some of the IT application development projects with international clients. In my very first project with Lexis Nexis, I was developing an integration application for their MDM Solution. This initiated my interest in Data Management and Data quality,” said Vinay. Before coming to UALR and joining the Information Quality Program, Vinay worked in Australia for Infosys Technologies’ client Telstra. He worked on Telstra’s Order Management and Fulfillment System.

Vinay’s summer internship at Walmart lasted for 10 weeks. Walmart sponsors many events for its intern like Welcome Receptions, Executive Speaker Series, Intern Development, Distribution Centers Tour, Softball Tournament, Open House, Project Presentation Day and many more activities. Interns are assigned to work on projects within teams. “I really liked it there. The overall target of the internship experience is to help interns understand the company better, work on real projects, to grow professionally, and most importantly to have fun while working. This is an amazing summer for me and for the rest of the interns,” he added.

IMG_0467 (1)Vinay had the chance to attend one of Walmart’s Saturday-morning-meetings, when the company’s top Executives convene to discuss managerial issues. Executive Vice President of Walmart Global People Division Linda Simon invited him to speak on behalf of 240 interns at Walmart during this meeting.  (Picture to thIMG_0466 (1) (1)e left: Vinay speaking during the Walmart Executives Meeting. Courtesy of Vinay Artham).

Vinay spoke about his experience with Walmart, about UALR and the IQ Program. He also had the chance to meet and talk with Walmart CEO Doug McMillion. (Picture to the right: Vinay posing for a selfie with Walmart CEO Doug McMillion. Courtsey of Vinay Artham).

As for the future, Vinay plans to become an expert in implementing effective IT solutions for business and for turning data into an important business asset. He also plans to come back to UALR after completing his Master’s Degree in Information Quality and earn his PhD in Information Quality.

As his for his advice to other students: “Although I had some issues during my first semester, I got back on track very fast. I think this can happen to anybody.  Our professors, supervisors, and everybody here have always supported me and encouraged me. My advice for my student peers is: Keep pushing yourself to get better each day. There are always opportunities but the most prepared get them!”

Posted in: News