Steps to Apply for VA Educational Benefits

Apply for Admission to UA Little Rock

You may apply for admission online.

To Apply for Veterans Educational Benefits

  1. Apply for VA benefits on-line at
    VA Ed Benefits link

    If first-time user, create an account, and choose one of these options:

    1. Complete VA Form 22-1990 (Application for VA Benefits)
    2. Complete VA Form 22-5490 (Dependents’ Application for VA Benefits), if your parent or spouse is permanently and totally disabled or died as the result of service-connected disability:
      • If your parent or guardian died in the line of duty on or after 9/11/01, you may be eligible for the John David Fry Scholarship, complete the VA Form 22-5490 and select the Fry scholarship as the benefit.
      • If you are 18 years old and enrolled in a high school, you may qualify for monthly benefits while in high school.
          a) Complete VA Form 22-5490,
          b) Have high school call the VA State Approving Agency (SAA), (501) 324-9473, to confirm if school is an approved site,
          c) After receipt of the Certificate of Eligibility (COE) from the VA Regional Office, please call the SAA, (501) 324-8473 for more information.
      • If your parent or guardian died as a result of military service in Iraq or Afghanistan, you may be eligible for an Iraq and Afghanistan Service Grant. Complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid at to be considered for the grant.
    3. Complete VA Form 22-1990e (Application for Family Member to Use Transferred Benefits), after DoD has approved Post 9/11 transfer benefits to your family member.
    4. Complete VA Form 28-1900, Disabled Veteran’s Application for Vocational Rehabilitation and Employment

    Note: The VA Regional Office will send you an email to confirm receipt of your application.

  2. Forward the VA confirmation email to and include the following on the email:
    1. Your name
    2. VA Chapter applied for
    3. Term you plan to begin
    4. UA Little Rock ID# (T00######)
  3. After 3-4 weeks, your application should be reviewed and a response will be received by mail:
    1. If approved for VA educational benefits, forward a copy of the Certificate of Eligibility (COE) to the UA Little Rock Office of Military Student Success.
    2. If denied for VA educational benefits, forward a copy of the denial letter to the UA Little Rock Office of Military Student Success. This will allow us to review your application process to determine if other documentation is needed.
    3. Chapter 31 Voc Rehab students, have your Voc Rehab counselor submit VA Form 28-1905 to our office.
    4. Documents may be submitted by email to or by fax to (501) 683-7055.
  4. Register for classes.
  5. Submit a UA Little Rock VA Certification Request Form (CRF) after you register for classes. You should do this after you are fairly certain that your selection of classes is final. If you submit a CRF and then change classes, you will have to resubmit another CRF. The CRF form will allow the UALR Office of Military Student Success to:
    1. Release your information, as required, to the Veterans Regional Office.
    2. Make payment arrangements on your behalf to prevent deletion of classes. Once funds are released by the VA Regional Office, you are responsible for making payments on your balance to UALR or ensuring your balance is paid in full.

    Note: If term enrollment dates overlap, the VA Regional Office adds the credit hours from the terms together during the overlapping period(s) to calculate your eligibility.

  6. Chapter 31 Vocational Rehabilitation and Employment Students: Please note that in addition to # 5, you must have your Voc Rehab counselor send Form 28-1905 to the UA Little Rock Office of Military Student Success. The form may be faxed to 501.683.7055 or emailed to
  7. If you decide not to attend UA Little Rock for any term, you must withdraw from all classes through the UA Little Rock Office of Records and Registration by 4:00 pm at the end of the 100% refund period by the specific date(s) per term to receive a full adjustment of charges. Not attending class does not remove this obligation; if you are registered, you are liable for charges. These dates and more information are located at