Marie Wilson Howell Outstanding Graduating Senior Award 2021

The Marie Wilson Howell Outstanding Graduating Senior Award is given to a graduating senior Psychology major each spring.  This year the two recipients are Lindsey Carl and Claire Brazile. Here is a little bit from them about their time here at UA Little Rock!

Claire Brazile:

I have thoroughly enjoyed my time as a UA Little Rock student. I transferred from another city after receiving my associate’s degree, and I remember how excited and nervous I was. During my time at UA Little Rock, I met some of my closest friends and professors that I aspire to be like one day. I have so many fond memories, both educationally and personally, that I will never forget. I thoroughly enjoyed being a member of the Psychology Club and getting to interact with fellow psychology majors.

While my senior year introduced unexpected challenges, with COVID-19 causing classes to be strictly online and campus life to be nonexistent, it was one of my best years in terms of academic achievements. Not only was I inducted into Psi Chi, the International Honor Society in Psychology, but I also unexpectedly received this award. Throughout my educational career, I have worked hard to prove myself as a dedicated student and it means so much to me to be recognized by professors that I admire. I am grateful to the Psychology Department faculty for the knowledge and support they have given me. While my time here is ending, I am excited about the future and what it brings. I will always remember my time at UA Little Rock!

Lindsey Carl:

I am so grateful for my time here at UA Little Rock. I re-entered school after quitting two different programs, and psychology felt like a discipline I could really grow with and love. Every class I took deepened my curiosity and expanded how I thought about different problems in human psychology and behavior. Particularly, I discovered a passion for research I had not realized I had, and am forever appreciative to have had the opportunity to pursue goals in that area under the guidance of my very kind and wonderful professors. Any time I spoke with a faculty member about my plans for the future and what I enjoyed studying, I was given clear and positive feedback and direction. I always felt encouraged and soon developed a clearer sense of my own career goals.

To be honest, in the beginning, I am not sure I even had career goals—I just knew I was curious. Now I have a way to take my curiosity and do something with it, which is a very satisfying feeling! I’m confident that now I can go on to continue my work in graduate school and I’m excited to start the next leg of my academic journey. I am very thankful for my time here and honored to be recognized with this award.

Posted in: Psychology News