Sources on Careers & Graduate Programs in Psychology
Social Science majors are successful in many fields because of their ability to communicate effectively, think critically, and solve complex problems. UA Little Rock Psychology majors often pursue careers in these areas with just a Bachelor’s degree:
- Social Services
- Human Resources
- Case Management
- Mental Health Services
- Physical Health and Wellness
- Crisis Work
- Rehabilitation Services
- Performance Enhancement
Nearly half of students who receive a B.A. in Psychology at UA Little Rock go on to pursue a graduate degree. Here are some resources for students looking into continuing their education and searching for careers in Psychology:
- American Psychological Association
- Social Psychology Network has a career center with job listings, links, and articles including “Finding Careers with a Bachelor’s Degree in Psychology” by Bruce R. Fretz.
- The American Psychological Society contains job listing information as well as a student issues sub-page that contains information on research-doctorate programs.
- The student’s site of the American Psychological Association has a number of articles about career options for the bachelor, masters and doctorate graduate.
- MonsterCollege is a comprehensive site with many resources for students, including an on-line job listing service.
- Ask The Headhunter is a weekly newsletter with many great tips on getting a job. There are also several great articles, including “Liberal Arts is Slang for Job Skills” and “Making the Liberal Arts Degree Pay Off“.
- The US Bureau of Labor Statistics has a great page packed with statistics and information helpful for someone considering psychology as a career.
Selected books and journal articles at the UA Little Rock Ottenheimer Library
- Career paths in psychology: where your degree can take you. By: Sternberg, Robert J. Edition: Third edition. Washington, DC : American Psychological Association. 2017. Available for checkout at the Ottenheimer library as an eBook or electronic journal.
Title: Authors: Sternberg, Robert J. Publication Information: Ed.: Third edition. Washington, DC : American Psychological Association. 2017 Resource Type: eBook. Description: Now in its third edition, this bestselling volume has set the standard for students seeking to find an exciting career in psychology.
- The Complete Guide to Graduate School Admission: Psychology, Counseling and Related Professions. by Patricia Keith-Spiegel and Michael Wiederman. Mahwah, NJ: L. Erlbaum Associates, Inc., 2000. Available for checkout at the Ottenheimer library-4th floor circulation, BF77.K35 2000