The New Interface
Along with an upgrade to Blackboard, Kaltura Media will also be upgraded. These changes should improve performance and your experience. While you may be familiar with some of these features, there are many new enhancements including the ability to add captions from within Blackboard and comment on videos.
- New Kaltura Media overview video.
Main Features and Tools:
Upload and Record
- Easy Video Uploading – Upload any type of media (video, audio, images, presentations) using a simple interface.
- Create webcam videos – Welcome messages, introductions, assignment instructions, simple demonstrations, and other webcam media.
- Screen Recording – Easily record the screen, along with audio and webcam feeds, to create and publish screencasts. Instructors and students can record and share lectures, presentations, software tutorials, and additional screencasts.
- Video Presentations – Create a synchronized view of a document and a video. Provision video presentations in My Media to simplify the process of adding presentations.
Publishing is the process of taking private content from My Media and publishing it to a Media Gallery or posting it via the content editor Mashup Tool.
- My Media – Upload, manage, assign, and share content (based on permissions) with a private media library for each Blackboard user.
- Media Gallery – Search or view rich media assigned to a course if you are a member. Media can be added by instructors or students, with an option for student contributions moderated by instructors.
- Rich-text editor integration – Intuitively use rich media without time-consuming training, simply click on the “Kaltura Media” link from within any Mashup Tool in Blackboard.
Sharing is the process of giving others the ability to publish your content. This is done by publishing your
content to the Faculty Repository and then letting other faculty members publish the content from the Faculty Repository to course’s Media Gallery and as inline text as Mashup items
- Shared Repository – Use to share media among faculty members.
View and Interact with the Kaltura Player
- Responsive Design – Automatically adjusts site layout to the screen size and device to provide optimal mobile device support.
- Captions – Upload multilingual captions to reach international, multilingual, and hearing impaired audiences while also enabling in-video search within the captions.
- Comments – Boost online conversations and user engagement by allowing users to comment on videos.
- Browse, Search and Embed – Quickly find and embed videos based on metadata (name, description, tags, categories).
- In-video search – Upload captions and then search for every spoken word. Search results allow skipping directly to the relevant part in the video. In-video search available within an entry or across videos in the course gallery/my media gallery.
- Analytics – Faculty can view course-level reports for video engagement:
- Which videos are students watching the most?
- Which students contribute the most videos?
- Which students watch the most videos?
- How long are students watching each video?
The above information was excerpted from the Kaltura Media User’s Guide.