With caution, we are optimistic about in-person placement opportunities for STRIVE 2021!
We are looking for motivated teachers from all across Arkansas that want to better prepare their students for success in jobs that require skills taught in your STEM classrooms!
With a strong need to be flexible (based on the current state of the COVID-19 pandemic), we are hopeful to place teachers at businesses within their communities for 4 week internships in June 2021.
Requirements for Participation
- Teaching full-time for 3 or more years.
- Teach one or more STEM courses.
- Teach in the state of Arkansas (preference given to teacher in historically under-served communities).
If financial opportunities are limited, preference will be given to teachers that have not participated in STRIVE in the past.
Current plan for STRIVE 2021
- Submit your application (link below), including acknowledging our safety protocols.
- Download the safety protocol and waiver here.
- Your application will be reviewed by our partner businesses.
- Businesses will contact their top teacher candidates and complete an interview (most likely online or over the phone).
- Business/Teacher partnerships will be confirmed by STRIVE.
- Placements start on or before June 1st (negotiated with your business and STRIVE) and typically end on July 2nd. We may be flexible on schedule, but you must discuss any possible deviations in your application.
- The tentative plan is to bring STRIVE teachers to UA Little Rock campus for 4 days of professional development:
- June 7th & 8th – STRIVE Kickoff meeting. Accommodations for overnight stay on June 7th will be arranged for those that request them
- June 18th – a one day professional development workshop. Accommodations for overnight stay on June 17th will be arranged for those that request them
- July 1st – a one day professional development workshop to wrap up the STRIVE summer activities. Accommodations for overnight stay on June 30th will be arranged for those that request them
- Commitment for teachers is 5 weeks (25 days),
- 4 weeks (20 days) of which will be in the job placement
- 5 days of professional development
- Teachers are compensated for their participation with EITHER
- Payment of $750 per week for 5 weeks OR
- 28 hours of professional development credit
- 10% of your time during the placement will be reserved for working on your classroom activity/unit.
What is Expected of You?
- Enthusiasm for utilizing this opportunity to better prepare your students for jobs that you or they might not have even been aware of!
- A safety mindset! With the pandemic still being a present concern, we need all participants in STRIVE to follow every precaution required by UA Little Rock, our business partners, and the state of Arkansas.
- Professional attitude and interaction with the business, fellow teachers, and STRIVE team.
- We are building bridges with local businesses and between communities in the state.
- We want businesses to be impressed and hungry to maintain and build on those relationships with future STRIVE partnerships and the future hiring of your students!
- Clear communication
- Please communicate with us (STRIVE) and your business in a professional manner.
- Leading up to and during your placement you will be expected to keep your “employer” well informed of your progress, needs, and any challenges that come up.
- STRIVE is here to support you if you run into unexpected challenges at your placement.
What does the application involve?
To prepare your application, here are the parts that you can expect:
- Background information about you (how long you have taught – 3 year minimum for applying, and where and what you teach)
- What degrees do you hold (or are working towards), and what leadership roles do you have?
- A few questions about the classroom environment that you create for your students currently.
- A few questions to help optimize potential placements
- Are there businesses in your community that you want us to reach out to?
- Are there considerations for what type of placement you may not be able to complete due to health or other considerations?
- Upload your current resume.
- Administrative support: to maximize your success, we ask that you obtain a letter of support from one of your school administrators.
- Form letter is here.
- Confirms that your administration is aware of and supportive of your participation in STRIVE.
- If you are struggling with obtaining this letter of support, please contact Mark Baillie to find out how to proceed.
Ready to apply? Click here to complete your application!
The UA Little Rock STRIVE program is a collaboration between experience Arkansas teachers and local businesses. Since the health of all individuals in our partnership is paramount, our partnership observes all Arkansas Department of Health recommendations to implement organizational practices to combat the spread of communicable illness, frequently taking additional steps beyond what is required at the state level.
Prior to arrival at any site, all teachers and instructors must complete a home health assessment (available here) each day and submit their form to the instructor upon arrival. When arriving at the site all individuals will apply hand sanitizer and complete a contactless temperature check and a symptoms check conducted by a representative of UA Little Rock. Only after successful completion of these steps will teachers be allowed to participate in the day’s work and activities. Teachers, instructors, or guides with a temperature of 100.4 F or higher will not be allowed to participate.
On Site Protocols
• All teachers and instructors must wear masks for the duration of the day during in-person events.
• Social distancing of at least six feet will be observed for all activities, indoors and outdoors.
• Any work to be completed in buildings will be conducted in classrooms that meet the minimum participant requirements for the number of individuals present.
• Health and safety products will be readily available for all participants and will include at a minimum, hand sanitizer, extra masks, and a contactless thermometer.
Organizational Waiver of Liability
All teachers must sign a liability waiver prior to meeting in person. If you are accepted in to the program, we will provide you with this waiver to sign before meeting on campus.
Addendum A – Liability Waiver (to be signed if participating in the 2021 STRIVE program)
1. Participation in activities at UA Little Rock or participating STRIVE sites may lead to the exposure to illness from infectious diseases, including but not limited to MRSA, influenza, COVID-19, and physical injury. While particular rules, controls, and personal discipline may reduce this risk, the risk of serious illness, injury, and death does exist.
2. Participant agrees to willfully comply with all policies and procedures observed by the STEM Education Center at UA Little Rock to prevent the spread of communicable illness.
3. Participant knowingly and freely assumes all such risks, both known and unknown, even if arising from the negligence of the releasees or others, and assume full responsibility for Participant’s participation.
4. Participant, and Participant’s heirs, assigns, personal representatives and next of kin, herby release and hold harmless the STEM Education Center, UA Little Rock, their agents, officers, directors, interns, volunteers, patrons, students, sponsors, advertisers, and if applicable, owners and lessors of premises used to conduct business or educational activities (herein deemed “RELEASEES”), with respect to any and all illness, injury, disability, death, or loss or damage to person or property, whether arising from the negligence of releasees or otherwise, to the fullest extent permitted by law.
STRIVE attempts to optimize matches based on your interests, skills, and geographic location with the needs of business partners. To achieve this, we collect teacher application, which our business partners will then sort through to find potential matches. The businesses may then reach out to the teachers to determine the optimum fit. We call this a Placement Interview.
For 2021, STRIVE will pay for selected 1st year teachers. The stipend will be $750 per week, paid in installments during the summer and fall. Final payments will be based on implementation of the designed activity / unit and sharing of data on the impact of the implementation.
I know a perfect business partner in my community!
Some teachers have personal knowledge of local businesses that would be ideal for learning about the STEM skills our students need to build in order to be successful. Often, good contact people are people that you know from civic groups, religious groups, your children’s activities, or parents at your school. We would appreciate learning about the contact person, either in your application (there is a line for this) or by emailing us directly. Contact Dr. Baillie by the link at the bottom of the page.
We often can arrange for you to work at a site that you suggest, providing that the experience matches the goals of our program. We welcome suggestions for work sites and help in finding an ideal opportunity in your area. Partners are often interested in working with a teacher when they meet the teacher in person.
Unlike past version of STRIVE, we are not placing teachers in research labs that have an academic focus.
What do I need for my application
The google form that you will complete for your application includes information about where you teach, what you teach, how you teach, why you want to be part of the program, and some information that will help us nail down your ideal placement. You will also need to upload a current CV / resume so that businesses can properly understand your background.