Auditions for the 2019-2020 academic year will be held on Friday, February 8, 2019.
Audition classes are held in Studio 129 in the Center for Performing Arts (which also houses the University Theatre, on the South end of campus. For Studio 129, enter the building through the glass doors on the West side of building 16) Directions>>
*Students for whom geographical location hinders participation in the audition day should contact Stephanie Thibeault.
The Department of Theatre Arts and Dance at UA Little Rock offers two degrees in Dance: a Bachelor of Fine Arts (B.F.A.) in Dance, and a Bachelor of Arts (B.A.) in Dance. The B.F.A. in Dance is a professional degree offering students an education in dance technique, choreography, and dance theory. The B.A. in Dance is a liberal arts degree that promotes interdisciplinary connections, and bridges other topics of study with dance perspectives.
Auditions are an excellent opportunity to take classes with our faculty, learn about the B.F.A. and B.A. degrees in Dance, receive a level placement for Fall technique classes, and be considered for a dance scholarship. You will be observed in the dance technique class setting. Prospective students will be scheduled for a campus tour on the audition day.
AUDITIONS ARE REQUIRED* FOR INCOMING DANCE MAJORS. Students interested in being considered for departmental scholarships must also submit scholarship application materials and take part in a scholarship interview. The Theatre Arts and Dance Scholarship Application should be completed immediately; additional materials may be uploaded later. NOTE: Students auditioning for “placement only” (non-majors and majors not currently applying for scholarships) should complete the Theatre Arts and Dance Scholarship Application, selecting “Dance – placement only” at the top of the form, then submit the application without uploading the additional scholarship application materials.
DANCE AUDITION ATTIRE
Fitted dancewear required for all dancers. (NO baggy clothes or cover-ups.) Specific requirements include; Women: Dark solid-colored leotard with black footless tights (or unitard.) Bare feet for modern class; soft ballet shoes for ballet class. Hair must be secured away from the face and neck. Men: Black fitted t-shirt (or tank) with black footless tights (leggings)…(or unitard.) Bare feet for modern class; soft ballet shoes for ballet class. Hair must be secured away from the face and neck.
ADDITIONAL DANCE SCHOLARSHIP INFO
- Students applying for departmental scholarships will be scheduled for an interview with the faculty.
- Scholarship applications must be completed by Jan 24 – Register/apply now; upload materials later.
- Current UA Little Rock dance majors who are already on departmental scholarship do not need a separate letter of recommendation. Current UA Little Rock students who are not yet on departmental scholarship need a letter from someone who knows their abilities. That can be someone from a dance school/studio or a UA Little Rock dance faculty member.
- Students must have applied to UA Little Rock to be considered for a departmental scholarship. (APPLY TO UA LITTLE ROCK NOW!)
- You must be a declared dance major to receive departmental scholarship funds. (Declare Dance as you major after you apply to the university.)
We look forward to seeing you in our studios soon!