Why study language and cultures at UALR?
Our courses will enable you to…
- Communicate with people from other countries and cultures
- Become a competitive professional in today’s global market
- Pursue advanced degrees in the humanities and social sciences or professions (law, health care, social work, education, business, etc.)
- Pursue certification in interpretation and translation
- Pursue licensure in K-12 education and ESL certification
- Study, travel, live and work abroad
In addition to building proficiency in speaking, reading, writing and listening in second language, our coursework cultivates critical thinking and understanding through literature, film and cultural studies. Our curricula combine cutting-edge, proficiency-based instruction with a classic liberal arts education. We also offer specialized classes in language for specific purposes and professions.
Our department presently offers faculty-led summer study abroad programs in France, Argentina, and Spain, and students are encouraged to study abroad for semester and year-long programs. We also assist students who cannot study abroad for extended periods of time to find shorter (one or two-week) options for language immersion programs. Our Office of Study Abroad can help you find the right program for your needs and explore financial aid and scholarship options.