The Student Services Success Initiatives are designed to empower, support, and assist African American and Hispanic/Latino students in achieving their goal of earning a college degree.
SSSI includes the African American Male Initiative, African American Female Initiative, and Hispanic/Latino Initiative programs, and our mission is to increase retention and graduation rates.
Dr. Charles W. Donaldson Summer Bridge Academy
The academy is a three-week residential program aimed at preparing incoming freshmen for college-level work eliminating the need for them to take remedial math and English courses. The academy set record numbers in it’s pilot phase this summer.
“The results have been nothing short of amazing,” Brad Patterson, director of the UALR Office of Testing Services and Student Life Research.
â€¢ Eleven students now eligible for honors composition
â€¢ Thirty-eight students, or 88 percent, who have bypassed developmental math, with an average math score increase of 20 points
â€¢ Almost 80 percent who have bypassed developmental composition, with average composition scores jumping 18 points
â€¢ Fifty percent who have bypassed developmental reading
â€¢ In all, 58 total course advancements
For more information about the program’s approach, go to Summer Bridge Academy.
Why Join a SSSI Program?
Right away you will meet students with whom you will have classes and who share common interests. And you will:
- have individualized help with course advising
- be connected with a peer and professional mentor
- attend trainings and workshops to develop your academic and personal skills
- participate in fun social activities on and off-campus
- African American Male Initiative
- African American Female Initiative
- Hispanic/Latino Initiative
- Teaching Enhancements Affecting Minority Students (TEAMS)