The Student Services Success Initiatives are designed to empower, support, and assist African American and Hispanic/Latino students in achieving their goal of earning a college degree.
SSSI includes the African American Male Initiative, African American Female Initiative, and Hispanic/Latino Initiative programs, and our mission is to increase retention and graduation rates.
Dr. Charles W. Donaldson Scholars Academy
The Charles W. Donaldson Scholars AcademyÂ aims to improve educational achievement for all students, with a special attention to African American students and others who are at-risk of academic failures due to socioeconomic disadvantage, or other factors.Â The Pulaski County Special School District has partnered with CWDSA to invest in your success and we hope that you donâ€™t pass up on this life-changing experience.
- Be a part of a year-long program that includes a Saturday Academy each month during the fall and spring semesters
- Attend a summer component at either Philander Smith College or the University of Arkansas at Little Rock
- Gain help toÂ improve reading, writing, and math skills, while also enhancing social and emotional development
- Earn a $2,500 annual scholarship toÂ attend the University of Arkansas at Little Rock or Philander Smith College
Dr. Charles W. Donaldson Summer Bridge Academy
The academy is a three-week residential program aimed at preparing incoming freshmen for college-level work eliminating the need for them to take remedial math and English courses. The program is open to all high school seniors who have been admitted to UALR, but based on test scores are required to take remediation courses. The academy set record numbers in it’s pilot phaseÂ and has continued to aid students in becoming successful college students.
- Save $1000 by eliminating remedial math and English courses.
- Earn a $200 stipend while learning and having fun.
- Get FREE room & board in University Housing.
- Attend motivational workshops, special events, and fun activities
- Build long-lasting relationships with faculty, staff, peers and mentors.
Why Join a SSSI Program?
Right away you will meet students with whom you will have classes and who share common interests. And you will:
- have individualized help with course advising
- be connected with a peer and professional mentor
- attend trainings and workshops to develop your academic and personal skills
- participate in fun social activities on and off-campus
- African American Male Initiative
- African American Female Initiative
- Hispanic/Latino Initiative
- Teaching Enhancements Affecting Minority Students (TEAMS)