Emeritus Status - 403.4
|University of Arkansas at Little Rock|
|Policy Name: Emeritus Status|
|Policy Number: 403.4|
|Effective Date: June 6, 1989|
Eligibility for Emeritus Status
In recognition of distinguished service to the University of Arkansas, retiring employees may be awarded emeritus status at the rank or title held at the time of retirement.
In order to be considered for emeritus status, an individual must be appropriately recommended and meet at least one of the following conditions:
- The retiring individual is age 65 or older and has at least five years of continuous service with the University.
- The retiring individual is age 62 or older and has at least 10 years of continuous service with the University.
- The retiring individual has at least 20 years of continuous service with the University.
- The retiring individual has elected to retire early under the early retirement provisions of Administrative Memorandum 430.2.
Procedures for Awarding Emeritus Status
In order for emeritus status to be conferred by the Board of Trustees, the individual must be recommended by the chief executive officer of the campus or unit. The President will recommend the final list of individuals to receive emeritus status.
Emeritus status will normally be conferred once each year by the Board of Trustees effective on July 1 for those individuals who have retired prior to that date. The President will receive recommendations no later than February 15, or such other date as may be specified, from the chief executive officer of the campus or unit.
Privileges of Emeritus Status
Emeritus status entitles the recipient to the following privileges:
- presentation of a certificate or resolution appropriate for framing;
- use of the title;
- continued campus faculty membership status for those with faculty rank, but without vote in the campus faculty governance body;
- inclusion in the campus directory, catalog, and other listings of campus faculty/staff;
- use of the library;
- eligibility to purchase a faculty/staff parking decal;
- faculty/ staff admission to campus activities and events;
- and waiver of fees for enrollment in University courses on a space available basis.
Responsibility of Recipients of Emeritus Status
Emeritus employees are expected to assist and support the University in their areas of competence, particularly in an advisory capacity, when requested to do so.
Source: UA Board Policy 475.1 & UALR Faculty Handbook 2009-10
Revised: June 6, 1989