Bachelor of Science in Computer Science
The department offers courses covering a wide range of topics in Computer Science, including programming and programming languages, data structures and algorithms, assembly language, computer architecture, networking, operating systems, compilers, software engineering, file structures, database systems, graphics, artificial intelligence, and theory of computation. The department seeks to prepare students both for careers in the computing industry and for advanced study in Computer Science. The department maintains close ties with local computing industries, and encourages its students to participate in the many cooperative and internship opportunities made available through these contacts.
The program educational objectives are to:
- Prepare students for careers as Computer Scientists in business and industry.
- Train students in software design and development.
- Train students in hardware design and development.
- Prepare students for advanced study in Computer Science.
The program has measurable program results that enable students, by the time of graduation, to:
- Be capable of problem solving.
- Be capable of formulating algorithmic solutions to a wide variety of problems normally encountered in real-world computing and also in academe.
- Be capable of expressing their algorithms in at least one of several of the most important computer languages currently in use in academic and local computing environments.
- Have a sufficient overview of the main subject areas of Computer Science, so that they can make intelligent decisions as to their future consideration of graduate education.
- Have mastery of the theoretical underpinnings of Computer Science at graduation.
- Be capable of functioning both individually and as part of a development team.
- Be capable of conveying technical material in writing and through interacting with an audience in an oral presentation.
- Understand professional, legal, and ethical responsibilities.
For more information, contact Dr. Chia-Chu Chiang