Phi Sigma Tau is the International Honor Society in Philosophy and is a member of the Association of College Honor Societies.
The UALR Arkansas Beta Chapter’s Mission is Five-Fold:
- to recognize and award distinction to students who display great interest and achieve scholarship in philosophy
- to promote student interest in research and advanced study in philosophy
- to provide opportunities for the publication of student research papers of merit
- to encourage and facilitate the professional spirit and friendship between exceptional students of philosophy
- to popularize interest in philosophy among the general collegiate public
General Membership Requirements
Undergraduate students at the University of Arkansas at Little Rock are eligible for active membership in Phi Sigma Tau if they meet the following criteria:
- Completion of a minimum of 24 hours of college coursework
- Completion of two 3-hour courses in philosophy with an average GPA greater than 3.0 in those courses
- Overall GPA greater than 3.0
Students wishing to be members of Phi Sigma Tau must fill out a directory card and pay a one-time initiation fee (currently $25) to the national office. Submit your directory card and check to the Faculty Advisor, Dr. Allison Merrick.
Phi Sigma Tau Arkansas Beta Chapter
Excellent work gets rewarded around here!
The Oracle Awards recognize exceptional philosophical papers written for your philosophy courses.
Winners will be announced at the annual Phi Sigma Tau Induction Ceremony in April.
The Call for Oracle Award paper submissions can be found here.
The Oracle Apex Award for Exceptional Philosophical Argumentation
The highest honor, which may be awarded to any student who has taken any course in which she wrote a truly exceptional philosophy paper, a paper considered to have excellent potential to be turned into a conference paper or publication.
The Oracle Award for Exceptional Philosophic Argumentation
Any student taking any course is eligible for this award, which rewards exceptional philosophy writing.
The Oracle Upstart Award
Awarded to a student taking a lower-level class who has produced the most exceptional paper, with preference given to freshmen and sophomore students.
Oracle Award Honorable Mentions
When the Oracle Award Judges have a particularly large group of worthy papers, they may choose to award several honorable mentions
The Clarence Guy Award
Awarded to the best paper in an introductory course.
Faculty Advisor: Dr. Roxy Green (email@example.com)