To be considered for admission into a graduate program, international applicants must submit the required documentation for their prospective program as well as the university-required documentation listed below by the following dates.
Fall applications: June 1
Spring applications: October 1
Summer applications: March 1
For more information about International Student Services, please visit their website.
Graduate School Requirements
- An online graduate application.
- $40 application fee. All applicants must pay a non-refundable $40 application fee before their application can be processed. To pay this fee, please contact Student Accounts at 501.569.3450.
- Proof of English proficiency. All international students must provide an official score on either the Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL) or the International English Language Testing Systems (IELTS).
- On the TOEFL, master’s or educational specialist applicants must achieve a score of 525 on the paper-based test, 197 on the computer-based version, or 71 on the Internet-based version. Doctoral applicants must achieve a score of 550 on the paper-based test, 213 on the computer-based version, or 79 on the Internet-based version.
- On the IELTS, all applicants must make at least a 6.5.
- If a student’s English skills are determined to be inadequate by faculty after beginning a program at UALR, they may be asked to take a placement test and/or further coursework in English. For more information regarding the English proficiency tests, please contact Graduate Admissions at 501.569.3206 or email@example.com.
- Students who have studied full-time for two or more years at a college of university where English is the language of instruction located in a country where English is the native language may be exempt from the TOEFL/IELTS requirement. If this is your situation, please notify the Graduate School. The requirement cannot be waived until the Graduate School has received your transcripts.
- A copy of all academic records. All applicants must provide transcripts from all universities attended (undergraduate and graduate). Transcripts that have not been articulated can be submitted for the application process, but before registering for classes the transcript must be articulated and submitted to the Graduate School. For more information regarding transcript articulation, please contact Graduate Admissions at 501.569.3206.
- We recommend the WES Basic Course-by-Course evaluation. However, we will accept articulated transcripts provided by any current member of the National Association of Credential Evaluation Services (NACES).
- Companies on AACRAO’s referral list can also be utilized.
- Proof of two MMR vaccines. All applicants must provide proof of a Tuberculosis screening, which must be performed in the United States of America and can be done at the Health Services Center at UALR. All students must also submit proof of two rounds of immunization for measles, mumps, and rubella (MMR). Proof of one MMR needs to be provided at the time of admission and the other is due by the end of the student’s first semester at UALR.
- Additional program requirements. All programs have additional application requirements. To find out what your program requires for admission, please visit your program’s page, ask your program coordinator, check the Graduate Catalog, or contact the Graduate Admissions office at 501.569.3206.
- Tuberculosis screening. All applicants must provide proof of a Tuberculosis screening, which must be performed in the United States of America and can be done at the Health Services Center at UALR.
- Health and accident insurance. All international students must purchase the health and accident insurance provided by UALR and maintain coverage year-round. Students will be billed at the beginning of each fall and spring semester. A student who enters in a summer semester will be billed for that semester as well, making the total number of times billed three instead of two. If you have any questions, please contact Health Services at 501.569.3188.
- Transfer forms. Applicants transferring from another institution within the United States of America must also provide a Transfer and Visa form completed by the applicant’s International Student Services advisor from his or her current institution.
- Financial statement–students with F and J visas only. Before they can be accepted into the Graduate School, students must provide a financial statement showing that they are financially capable of pursuing a graduate education in the United States of America. For more information on this form, please contact the office of International Student Services at 501.683.7566.
- Copy of visa. All applicants must submit a copy of their visa.
If you have any questions regarding international application requirements, please contact the Graduate School at firstname.lastname@example.org or International Student Services at email@example.com.