Graduate Assistantships


Graduate assistantships are available through graduate programs and some non-academic departments. Assistantships include a partial or full tuition scholarship and a stipend of around $6,450 (20 hours per week for 2 semesters) or $3,225 (10 hours per week for 2 semesters). Some programs may offer a larger stipend. Assistantships are generally not available during the summer terms.

Doctoral students with full-time graduate assistantships are eligible for health insurance reimbursement. See here for health insurance plan information and contact the Graduate School for reimbursement information.

Duties vary, but most involve either teaching or research responsibilities at UA Little Rock or cooperating agencies. Whenever possible, assignments contribute to the student’s field of study. See the other links under “Graduate Assistantships” for more details.

For more information about available academic assistantships, please contact your program of study. To view the office UA Little Rock Graduate Assistantship policy, click here.

Assistantship Schedules

Fall GA assignments begin August 16 and end December 15; spring assignments begin January 16 and end May 15 (not including Spring Break). Academic year appointments may run from August 16 to May 15. Summer assignments vary depending on funding.

Work hours will depend on the arrangements made with the department supervisor. Graduate assistants are accountable to their supervisors for their time and are not required to make up hours missed on days the university is closed (e.g. snow days, holidays).

Length of Appointment

Appointments are renewable each semester, contingent upon satisfactory academic progress toward a degree. Satisfactory progress entails passing 9 graduate hours with a cumulative GPA of 3.0 or higher and satisfactory work performance the previous semester. Graduate assistants can be terminated during an appointment at the request of a sponsoring supervisor and after review by the graduate dean.

The maximum appointment time is two years for a master’s student and five years for a Ph.D. student.

Required Forms

Graduate students should go to the Workday Career Opportunities page for more information.

International Students

Before they begin their assistantships, students on F-1 or J-1 visas must also complete the Certificate of On-Campus Employment Eligibility and have it approved by International Student Services. This form is required for international graduate assistants to be paid for their assistantships. International Student Services is located in room 101 of the Education Building.