Students selecting the human resource management (HRM) emphasis in management are prepared for careers in areas related to human resource management such as human resource management, workplace management, and training.¬† The program stresses the importance of integrating individual goals with organizational objectives.¬† Important areas of study include the legal environment of employee relations; job analysis and design; employee planning, recruitment and selection; employee productivity improvement, compensation and other reward systems; union-management relations; and quality of work life.
Human Resource Management Educational Goals
- Understand and integrate appropriate strategic management concepts in the design and implementation of a corporate/business strategy.¬† This objective includes defining the organization’s purpose/mission, setting objectives, determining opportunities and threats, monitoring competitors, crafting appropriate strategic actions, implementing appropriate structural and support systems, and providing strategic leadership.
- Understand the principles of planning, directing, and controlling the human resource management function and the components of a comprehensive human resource program involving the recruitment, development, evaluation, compensation, and motivation of an identified workforce.
- Understand the concepts underlying effective interpersonal relations and group/team leadership skills and be able to model the roles involved in making assignments, empowering, praising, coaching, evaluating, disciplining, decision making, and resolving conflict.
Human Resource Management Emphasis Requirements:
Human Resource¬†Management Emphasis
- MGMT 3320 Human Resources Management
- MGMT 3340 Applied Organizational Behavior
- MGMT 4341 Labor and Industrial Relations
- MGMT 4360 Compensation Management
- MGMT 4391 Employment Law
- MGMT 4395 Applications in HR Management
Three courses from the following:
- FINC 4364 Employee Benefits
- MGMT 3362 Venture¬†Management or
- MGMT 3364 Family Business Management
- MGMT 4342 Negotiation and Administration of Collective Bargaining Agreements
- MGMT 4375 Sustainable Business
- MGMT 4377 International Business Management
- MGMT 4385 Special Topics in Management
- MGMT 4392 Cooperative Education¬†or
- MGMT¬†4394 Internship
- IBUS 4316 Field Study in International Business
- SPCH 3316 Interviewing
- SPCH 3323 Conflict Management