Students selecting the human resource management (HRM) emphasis in management are prepared for careers in areas related to human resource management such as human resource management, workplace management, and training.Â The program stresses the importance of integrating individual goals with organizational objectives.Â Important areas of study include the legal environment of employee relations; job analysis and design; employee planning, recruitment and selection; employee productivity improvement, compensation and other reward systems; union-management relations; and quality of work life.
Human Resource Management Educational Goals
- Understand and integrate appropriate strategic management concepts in the design and implementation of a corporate/business strategy.Â This objective includes defining the organization’s purpose/mission, setting objectives, determining opportunities and threats, monitoring competitors, crafting appropriate strategic actions, implementing appropriate structural and support systems, and providing strategic leadership.
- Understand the principles of planning, directing, and controlling the human resource management function and the components of a comprehensive human resource program involving the recruitment, development, evaluation, compensation, and motivation of an identified workforce.
- Understand the concepts underlying effective interpersonal relations and group/team leadership skills and be able to model the roles involved in making assignments, empowering, praising, coaching, evaluating, disciplining, decision making, and resolving conflict.
Human Resource Management Emphasis Requirements:
Human ResourceÂ Management Emphasis
- MGMT 3320 Human Resources Management
- MGMT 3340 Applied Organizational Behavior
- MGMT 4341 Labor and Industrial Relations
- MGMT 4360 Compensation Management
- MGMT 4391 Employment Law
- MGMT 4395 Applications in HR Management
Three courses from the following:
- FINC 4364 Employee Benefits
- MGMT 3362 VentureÂ Management or
- MGMT 3364 Family Business Management
- MGMT 4342 Negotiation and Administration of Collective Bargaining Agreements
- MGMT 4375 Sustainable Business
- MGMT 4377 International Business Management
- MGMT 4385 Special Topics in Management
- MGMT 4392 Cooperative EducationÂ or
- MGMTÂ 4394 Internship
- IBUS 4316 Field Study in International Business
- SPCH 3316 Interviewing
- SPCH 3323 Conflict Management