Q & A with the New Law Review Editorial Board

April Rogers

Where is your hometown?

Conway, AR

What is an interesting or a fun fact about yourself?

Before law school I was a high school Math teacher.

What brought you to law school?

I decided on law school after participating on my college’s debate team.

What made you choose Bowen?

While teaching in Lake Village, Arkansas, after undergrad, I decided that I wanted to stay in Arkansas and Bowen’s scholarship opportunities along with a great experience during admitted students day helped me to decide to attend Bowen.

What area of the law interests you and why?

I am interested in litigation because of the creativity involved in crafting arguments.

Amanda Partridge

Where is your hometown?

I am from here in Little Rock, but I spent the first few years after college in Searcy, Arkansas.

I am a tea enthusiast, and I’m always trying new teas and learning more about the process of growing and making tea.

What brought you to law school?

I came to law school because my career experience is a few years as director of a nonprofit and a few years as a paralegal. I loved both of those jobs–while very different, they both center around helping people–so I decided to pursue a way to combine them–that’s why I’m a concurrent student also seeking my Master of Public Administration through UA Little Rock’s main campus.

What made you choose Bowen?

I chose Bowen because it’s close to my parents–my mom has multiple myeloma, a form of bone cancer, so I wanted a way to study while also being close to home. The scholarship didn’t hurt, either.

I’m interested in administrative law because I want to make the systems easier to navigate for people who have been historically disadvantaged. I also love space law, though, because at heart, I never got over the awe of going to space camp as a kid.

Michael Berry

Where is your hometown?

Sherwood, AR.

I left behind a nascent teaching career in favor of law school. I taught middle school English and Arkansas History for three years in North Little Rock.

What brought you to law school?

I decided to go to law school because it fit my skills and my career interests, and teaching just wasn’t all that I hoped it would be.  I knew that lawyers need excellent research and writing skills, and I also knew that their job involves a lot of interaction with other people, including clients, colleagues, and the court.  I want to be able to provide a valuable service to people, but at the same time fill an vital role in our society and community. I hope that I will be able to do that in practicing law here in Central Arkansas.

What made you choose Bowen?

Honestly, I chose Bowen because I live 10 minutes away, but I was lucky to have a good public law school with good job prospects so close to home.

I am interested in general litigation because I like the idea of cases with a lot of hard questions, no clear answers, and no certain outcomes.  It is exciting and seems to me to be exactly the kind of work for which law school prepares us.

Christine Massey

Where is your hometown?

Greenbrier, AR –> went to school in Conway at UCA –> currently live in Maumelle.

I spent four months abroad during undergrad and visited over 10 countries.

What brought you to law school?

I thought I had my “dream job” as a writer and editor after undergrad, but after the 2016 election I realized I was feeling really stagnant and unfulfilled — so, like any sane person, I decided on a whim to take the LSAT and apply to law school.

What made you choose Bowen?

I plan to practice in Little Rock, so I figured it would be a good idea to go ahead and start making connections and building my network here.

I’m currently interested in estate planning, real estate, and litigation, but I am open to learning about anything.

Glen Larkin

Where is your hometown?

Greenville, SC

My bedtime stories are supreme court oral arguments.

What brought you to law school?

I have always wanted to be a lawyer.

What made you choose Bowen?

I have a young son and being close to his grandparents in Hot Springs played a major role in the decision in addition to economic reasons.

Commercial and Construction Litigation

Jacob Wickliffe

Where is your hometown?

North Little Rock, Arkansas.

I have a twin brother named Jarod Wickliffe. We have both worked at American Pie Pizza for a decade and even have have a pizza named after us: “The Wickliffe Twin Creation.”

What brought you to law school?

Growing up I always dreamt of being a lawyer. I have a strong passion for helping others, and I thought being a lawyer would give me the opportunity to facilitate that dream and give back to the Arkansas community. As I finish my second year of law school I realize that dream is slowly but steadily becoming a reality.

What made you choose Bowen?

I am from the Little Rock area, and I always knew that I wanted to attend law school at Bowen. But the faculty, staff, administration, and students of Bowen are the reason I have stayed. The Bowen community has given me the tools and support to be successful in my law school career and has made the process enjoyable.

As a first generation law student, I originally had no idea what practicing law really meant. However, the criminal law classes that I have taken and my clerkship at the Monterrey Law Firm have helped me cultivate a passion and a desire to practice criminal law.

Jake Jankovsky

Where is your hometown?

I moved fairly often in my childhood. Among my hometowns are Soldotna, Alaska; Glenwood Springs, Colorado; Landers, California; and Denver, Colorado.

When I was about 13 I took up skateboarding, and was just terrible at it. So, I asked a friend to try out my board, and he started to go the opposite direction of where he wanted to turn. I had put my trucks on backwards. Instead of fixing it, I would prank people by having them use my defective board. Luckily, no one was ever hurt beyond a few scrapes and bruises, along with some damaged pride. Also, I’m still just terrible at skateboarding.

What brought you to law school?

I came to law school because I have always had a strong interest in the law, and want to use it to help people.

What made you choose Bowen?

I appreciate Bowen’s commitment to public service, and the lower cost of tuition in Arkansas isn’t too bad either.

I have always had an interest in Constitutional Law because the idea of guaranteed fundamental rights strikes a chord with me. I’m also interested in Criminal law as an extension of those rights, due process is perhaps one of the best concepts humans have come up with.

Joseph Stepina

Where is your hometown?

Coppell, Texas

I have a twin.

What brought you to law school?

I’ve always planned on going to law school since I was a kid.

What made you choose Bowen?

I had been living in central Arkansas for the past several years before applying. It’s my home.

Constitutional law

Shelby Shelton

Where is your hometown?

Conway, AR

I enjoy doing things outdoors when I’m not working on school work on the weekends. I love hiking, camping, and canoeing on my free weekends!

What brought you to law school?

I had a calling to go to law school while I was obtaining my undergraduate degree, and I have been passionate about completing the journey ever since. I want to help and serve people through my passion, and law school will give me the skills to do that.

What made you choose Bowen?

I chose Bowen because of its convenient location in the capital city, its value, and its dedication to service.

I have always been interested in criminal law with an interest to work in the public sector. I have always wanted to become a prosecuting attorney to serve the community and promote justice.

Posted in: Students in the News