The Master of Science in health education and promotion is designed to provide professional educational opportunities to interested students, wellness directors, health education practitioners including certified health education specialists, researchers, corporate wellness/fitness coordinators, health department personnel, and health management personnel throughout Arkansas and the nation.
These professionals will be employed in a variety of venues, including education settings, health care institutions, private health clinics, rehabilitation centers, businesses, fitness and wellness programs, athletic teams, and sport/athletic facilities. Students will have the opportunity to improve their intellectual and professional skills through advanced classroom instruction, participation in behavioral research, and community service-learning activities.
- Undergraduate transcript(s). Applicants are expected to have a baccalaureate degree from an accredited university. Students are eligible for regular admission with a GPA of 2.7. Students with a GPA of 2.0 may petition for special conditional admission based on the following criteria. Applicants for special conditional admission must discuss and provide evidence regarding two or more of the following criteria as part of the petition:
- Amount of time elapsed since the previous degree (5+ years recommended)
- Professional experience in writing and/or teaching
- Extraordinary circumstances related to the low GPA
- Professional accomplishments that demonstrate the applicant’s abilities with respect to time management or focused, intensive study
- Reference letters. Applicants should obtain two letters of reference from college professors or individuals familiar with their academic work. Applicants should ask each writer of a reference letter to place the letter in an envelope, seal it, and sign across the seal. Applicants should collect the sealed reference letters and forward them to the UALR Graduate School.
- Letter of intent. Each applicant must submit a letter of intent describing the field or specialty within Health, Human Performance, and Sport Management for which training is sought and describing how the proposed training relates to the student’s career goals. Letters are not to exceed 500 words.