Arkansas Advanced Initiative for Math and Science, Inc., AR AIMS, an affiliate of the National Math and Science Initiative, exists to strengthen the teaching of the AP® mathematics, science, and English courses and to build enrollment and increase the number of students taking and earning qualifying scores on AP® exams in these subjects.
IN THE NEWS
The facts are in! Arkansas AIMS makes THE difference!
- AAAIMS welcomed Cohort 9 this year!
- AIMS is now in 22% of schools in Arkansas (up 1% from last year),
- AAIMS schools account for 48% of Math, Science, or English AP Exams taken in the state, and 44% of Math-Science-English Qualifying Scores (AP scores of 3, 4, 5) for the state.
- We account for 50% of Math and Science AP Exams taken in the state and 46% of Math Science exam Qualifying scores.
- Cohort 5 has seem a 240% increase in Quality Scores (AP scores of 3, 4, 5) and a 26% increase in students taking a Math, Science, or English AP Exam since their base year (first year the school became an AAIMS school).
- Cohort 6 has seen a 90% increase in Qualifying Scores and a 8% increase in students taking a Math, Science, and/or English exam since their base year.
- Cohort 7 has seen a 22% increase in Qualifying Scores, even though there was a decrease in the number of students taking an Math, Science, or English exam.
- Cohort 8 has seen a 53% increase in Qualifying Scores and a 7% increase in students taking a Math, Science, or English exam after being in the program for one year.
We are proud to say that Arkansas AIMS is making a difference for the students of Arkansas. If you’re not an AAIMS school, email@example.com
Have you registered for AAIMS 2-Day AP English Content Workshop November 2, 3?
Why? Click HERE FOR AP LANG Information about the workshop.
Click HERE FOR AP LIT Information about the workshop.
Click HERE to register.
Dr. Ken James Announces Retirement
Dr. T. Kenneth James, president of Arkansas AIMS since 2013, will retire from that position at the end of the year, according to Jerry Adams, Chairman of the Board.
Dr. James is a former Arkansas Education Commissioner having served from 2004-2009 and a former superintendent of three Arkansas School Districts, Batesville, Van Buren, and Little Rock, as well as districts out of state.
Under his guidance, AR AIMS, Inc has expanded to more than 70 school districts with 11 new schools added for the 2017-18 school year.
According to Mr. Adams, AR AIMS, Inc. Board of Directors will engage in a search to replace Dr. James and hopes to conclude the process in November.
AP Science Content Workshop Sept. 25-26, 2017
2017 AP Science Content Workshop is now underway at the Donaghey Student Center at the University of Arkansas Little Rock. Nearly 100 participants from across the state are involved in learning more about teaching AP Chemistry, AP Biology, AP Physics, and AP Environmental Science with world renown presenters, Cheri Smith in Chemistry, Jason Walker in Biology, Peggy Bertrand in Physics 1, and Jeremy Jenkins, in APES.
CONGRATULATIONS Paragould High School AP Students and AP Teachers!
Paragould High School, a 2016-17 AAIMS school, recently awarded 80 bonus incentive checks to students who made qualifying scores of 3, 4, or 5 on their AP exams in May 2017. Paragould had 44 qualifying scores in 2015, but nearly doubled that number of awards this year! Paragould School District and partner, NIDEC, have awarded over $10,000 toward student incentives for qualifying AP scores over the last three years.
Outstanding job, PHS Students!!!
The New School Year Brings New AAIMS Workshops!
Dates are set for the annual fall AP Content Workshops at at UA Little Rock and Spring Mock Reading Workshops. Registration is now underway. Click the link below.
If you have questions contact our Content Directors:
- AP SCIENCE 2-Day Content Workshop, September 25-26, 2017 at UALR. $375
- AP Math 2-Day Content Workshop, October 2-3, 2017 at UALR. $375
- AP English & PreAP English 2-Day Content Workshop, November 2-3, 2017 at UALR. $375
2017 AR AIMS AP PREP Boot Camp
The 2017 AR AIMS AP PREP Boot Camps at both UA Fayetteville and UA Little Rock provided a leg up to the future AP students in central and NW Arkansas. These week long free camps funded by The Walton Family Foundation and the Rockefeller Foundation respectively were for students registered for AP Literature and Composition, AP Language and Composition, AP Biology, AP Chemistry, AP Calculus, and AP Statistics for the upcoming 2017-18 school year. Students met with master teachers from across the state who made learning meaningful and fun. The honed in on specific “must know” concepts to ensure that students are prepared for the rigors of AP. At UA Fayetteville, the UA uTeach students provided mentoring and assistance for teachers while learning from them as well. At UA Little Rock the CityYear Corp assisted in the classrooms, encouraged students, and used the week to prepare for their in-school mentoring during the school year. AR AIMS expands our 2018 Boot Camp to ASU next summer. Watch online for our announcements and registration for 2018 AP PREP Boot Camp.
Photos and video clips can be found at our Facebook Page @AAIMS2000 via Twitter @AR_AAIMS #AAIMShigh or click link below:
Coming Soon! Announcing New AAIMS Zoom Schedule
Announcing: 2017 Vernier Software & Technology Training
Roberta Watts, AAIMS Science and Technology Consultant is offering teachers Vernier Training. Please click for information.
2017 AAIMS Summer Professional Development is in Full Swing.
AAIMS is offering 20 LTF and PreAP workshops around the state in secondary (6-12)English, math, and science and elementary (3-5) English/social studies, math/science where nearly 650 teachers will become better prepared for achieving student success. The AAIMS calendar and registration links can be found in widgets on the right side of our page.
Highlights from the recent PreAP English Workshop held at Paragould:
Highlights from the recent LTF Math Workshop held at the SWAESC in Hope:
Highlights from the recent PreAP Science Workshop held at the SWAESC in Hope:
- Laying the Foundation Workshop Information
AAIMS Is the Arkansas Venue for Laying the Foundation Professional Development. AAIMS offers LTF 4-day workshops during the Summer for PreAP Math, Science, English and Elementary, grades 3-5. CLICK HERE for additional information about Laying the Foundation (LTF) Professional Development. Get your entire district vertically aligned and better prepared for the ACT Aspire to ensure student achievement. Click here for information: Elementary LTF
- LTF is content based, incorporates higher order thinking, common core, and new generation science standards.
- LTF aides in preparation for teacher evaluation.
- LTF is approved to count as ADE’s required training for PreAP certification.
AAIMS New Cohort 9
WELCOME New Cohort 9 Schools! Artkins, Batesville, Benton, Blytheville, Episcopal Collegiate School, Fouke, Ft. Smith Southside, Gentry, Helena/West Helena, Lafayette County, Manila
- Cohort 8 Schools: Genoa, Huntsville, Jacksonville-North Pulaski, Lincoln, Paragould, Stuttgart.
- Cohort 7: Hope, Lonoke, Magnet Cove, Siloam Springs, and White Hall. We are now in 55 schools across the state.
- AR AIMS—70% increase in Qualifying scores from 2008-2015
- AR AIMS—5th in the Country with increases in Qualifying scores in all MSE exams for Minority Students—237% increase
- We are now in 60 schools across the state—18.4% of the high schools
ZOOM SESSIONS will resume Fall 2017. Check with your Content Director or your teacher to access archived sessions in English, math, and science.
AAEA Instructional Leader March 2017, “Introducing AAIMS”
AAIMS congratulates Siloam Springs Superintendent Dr. Ken Ramey on his selection as Superintendent of the Year for the State of Arkansas, and for his dedicated years of service to the students and staff of the Siloam Springs School District (Siloam Springs is a member of AAIMS-Cohort 7).
ENROLLMENT IN ADVANCED PLACEMENT COURSES LEADS TO HIGHER WAGES FOR ARKANSAS AIMS PARTICIPANTS
7 December 2016
Associated Press (LITTLE ROCK, Ark.) – A new study released today shows that high school students who enrolled in Advanced Placement (AP®) courses, and then graduate from college, realize higher wages than their non-AP® counterparts.
Data Prove AAIMS is the Answer
Boot Camp PREP–2nd Successful Year!
UA: July 18-22 and UALR: July 25-29
Click here for articles, information for 2015 Boot Camp PREP
AAIMS/AP SCHOOL CELEBRATION ASSEMBLIES
AAIMS Schools around the state reward students’ success on AP Exams. The students pictured below received at least 1 qualifying score on the 2015 AP Exam. Dr. Ken James AAIMS President, celebrated with Centerpoint High and Star City High Schools:
- 2015 AAIMS 2-DAY CONTENT WORKSHOPS
- Arkansas AIMS Offers NEW CUSTOMIZED Training for 2015-2016!
AAIMS Offers ONLINE AP EXAM PREP
For Titles, Click AAIMS Prep for Website Sheet 2015