Some exams require that you use the Respondus Lockdown Browser. When using the Lockdown Browser, you will be unable to print, copy, go to another URL, or access other applications. When an assessment is started, you will be locked in until it is submitted for grading.
Installing Respondus Lockdown Browser
To install Respondus Lockdown Browser on your system:
- Download UALR’s installer for Respondus Lockdown Browser.
- Then you’ll need to select the operating system on which Respondus Lockdown Browser will be installed:
- If you are using a computer that uses Windows, click the Windows icon.
- If you are using a Macintosh computer, click the Mac icon
- Then select the option that best fits your situation:
- Lab Computer — If you are using a lab computer on a UALR campus, please contact the Lab Administrator to assist you with this installation.
- Your Own Computer — Select this option if you are installing this software on your own computer or one that you are borrowing from family or friends.
- Work Computer — If you are using a computer at work, you MAY need to contact the system administrator for assistance.
- Read over the information provided for your selection and click the Download Installer link.
- When the File Download Installer dialog box opens, select Run to open the Respondus Lockdown Browser Installer.
- Click the Install button to install Lockdown browser to your computer’s desktop.
Updating Respondus Lockdown Browser
To update to the latest version of Lockdown Browser, follow these steps:
- Start the Respondus LockDown Browser application.
- Select “i” from the toolbar (Windows) or “About” (Mac).
- Select Check for Newer Version.
- Follow the on-screen instructions to download and run the patch.
If the “Check for Newer Version” doesn’t recognize the latest version, it’s because you are running a relatively old copy of LockDown Browser. The solution is to do a full re-installation, please see steps above for Installing Respondus Lockdown Browser.
After patching or re-installing the application, the “i” or “About” button on the toolbar should show the latest version number.
Taking an Exam in Respondus Lockdown Browser
To take an exam in the Lockdown Browser, follow the steps below:
- Close all open programs or applications.
- Open Lockdown browser by clicking the icon on your computer’s desktop
- Login to Blackboard normally
- Go to the course which has the exam you want to take.
- Take the test and submit it as you would normally.
- Log-out and close Lockdown browser.
Troubleshooting Lockdown Browser
If you experience problems with the Lockdown browser, please check this support page for assistance.