Analytical Chemistry/Laser Spectroscopy/Nanochemistry
Nanoscience and Nanotechnology, Analytical Chemistry I, Electrochemistry, Materials Science
- Nanostructure-Assisted Water Splitting for Hydrogen Production and Storage
- Optical Nonlinearity and Structure Relationships of Single-Walled Carbon Nanotubes
- Development of Novel Doubly Vibrationally Enhanced (DOVE) Four Wave Mixing Spectroscopy
- Applications of 2D IR Correlation Spectroscopy for Molecular Interaction Study
- Synthesis and Study of Novel Nanostructural Lanthanide Ion-Doped Materials for Optical Data Storage, Signal Processing and Optical Sensors
UA-Little Rock Appointments
- Professor (2006-present)
- Associate Professor (2003-2006)
- Assistant Professor (1999-2003)
- Postdoctoral Fellow, University of Wisconsin—Madison (Madison, WI)
- Ph.D., Peking University (Beijing, China)
- MS, Peking University (Beijing, China)
- BS, Peking University (Beijing, China)
Awards, Honors, and Synergistic Activities
- University Research Excellence Award (2004)
- College Research Excellence First Place Award (2004)
- DOVE Research work highlighted by C&E News (Feb. 7, 2000), Laser Focus World (July 2000), Photonics Technology News (May 2000).
- Graphene research work highlighted in Photonics Spectra (Oct 2010); Research work on Carbon Nanotubes highlighted in John Wiley & Sons Website, SeparationsNow.com: “Picking armchairs from zigzags.” (Jan. 2008).
- Organizer and Chairperson of Nanoscience Workshop at UALR, May 1-2, 2006; Lead Organizer for Symposium EE of Applications of Nanotubes and Nanowires in the MRS Spring Meeting, San Francisco, CA, April 9-13, 2007; Chair of Carbon Nanotubes Separation Symposium in the 30th-34th Annual Meetings of The Federation of Analytical Chemistry and Spectroscopy Societies (FACSS), 2003-2007; Organizer of Nanoscience and Nanomaterials Symposia in 2004-2007, 2011, 2013, 2016-2019, FACSS; Chair of Biotemplate-Based Nanomaterials for Energy Applications at FACSS 2016; Organizer of Coherent Multidimensional Spectroscopy in Materials Science, ACS San Francisco National Meeting, Aug. 10-14, 2014 and April 2-6, 2017, and Pacifichem, Hawaii, 2015 & 2020; Chair of Nanomaterials for Energy-Related Application Symposium and Carbon Nanotubes and Graphene Research Symposium, ACS SWRM 2018, Little Rock, AR.
- Guest Editor for A Special Issue in J. Phys. Chem. A: Coherent Multidimensional Spectroscopy (2013).
- NIH Review Panelists (2009-2011, 2019); NSF Major Research Instrumentation Panelist (2008); NSF Chemical Measurement and Imaging Panelist (2012); NSF Graduate Research Fellowship Program Panelist (2015-2016).
- W. Zhao, A. V. Pakoulev, J. C. Wright, J. Phys. Chem. A, 123 (2019) 625-628.“Conducting Excitation and Emission Spectra in the IR Regime: Frequency-Domain Time-Resolved Vibrational Four Wave Mixing Spectroscopy.”
- C. Li, Z. Zheng, W. Zhou, F. Watanabe, W. Zhao, J. Electrochem. Soc., 165 (2018) J3157-J3165. “NiFe Oxide Nanocatalysts Grown on Carbonized Algal Cells for Enhanced Oxygen Evolution Reaction.”
- D. Y. Wang, F. Watanabe, W. Zhao, ECS J. Solid State Sci. Technol., JSS Focus Issue, Nanocarbons — In Memory of Sir Harry Kroto, 6 (2017) M3049-M3054. “Reduced Graphene Oxide-NiO/Ni Nanomembranes as Oxygen Evolution Reaction Electrocatalysts.”
- D. Y. Wang, F. Watanabe, W. Zhao, J. Electrochem. Soc., 163 (2016) F3158-F3163. “One-Pot Growth of 3D Reduced Graphene Oxide Foams Embedded with NiFe Oxide Nanocatalysts for Oxygen Evolution Reaction.”
- E. H. Zhao, F. Watanabe, W. Zhao, Optical Materials, 46 (2015) 497-503. “Nonlinear Optical Transmission of Cyanobacteria-Derived Optical Materials.”