Bowen Student to Graduate, Work as Counsel in South Korea

Claire Cockrell, a graduating student at the William H. Bowen School of Law, expects to begin her career in law as assistant district counsel for the Far East District Office of Counsel for the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers in Pyeongtaek, South Korea.

Claire, a graduate of the University of Arkansas at Fayetteville and the daughter of an active duty U.S. Army soldier, is no stranger to public service or military life. Originally, Claire began her undergraduate studies with plans to become a nurse, but after taking a few pre-law classes, she discovered an interest in legal studies.

“I started out as a nursing major, but that didn’t work out very well, because — math,” Claire says jokingly. “I took a few pre-law classes and really enjoyed them, so I ultimately ended up majoring in political science as most law students do.”

Armed with a bachelor’s degree and a passion for public service, Claire set out to find opportunities to fuse both her passion and education, ultimately finding herself studying public service and law as a concurrent student at the Clinton School of Public Service and the Bowen School of Law.

“Growing up in a military family, public service was definitely emphasized,” Claire says. “I wanted an opportunity to combine my background in public service and my education, and Bowen offered just that.”

Through Bowen’s concurrent degree program, Claire earned a master’s of public service from the Clinton School of Public Service while studying for her juris doctorate. And while her JD has not quite yet been conferred, Claire has already made powerful career moves landing herself a coveted civilian position with the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers.

“I became aware of the opportunity through Bowen’s career services office,” Claire says. “They were fantastic in helping me prepare for the interview process. Federal jobs are a little bit different, so Dean Snyder met with me multiple times to help me prepare, and her insight was invaluable.”

Claire interviewed with the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers during Bowen’s on-campus interviews and was selected to participate in the branch’s Civilian Honors Program. According to its website, the program selects a limited number of graduating law students and judicial law clerks to be placed in one of its more than 50 office worldwide, providing the new attorneys with challenging work, significant responsibility, and unparalleled development opportunities to serve the public.

“In Career Services, we work hard to bring diverse employers and opportunities to our students and graduates,” said Diana Snyder, Assistant Dean for Career Services. “Claire has been a dedicated student since her first year as a law student; this position is a perfect fit for Claire, and I’m excited I was able to play a role in helping her achieve her career goals.”

Claire is expected to start her new position in August, beginning as a law clerk pending admission to the bar. Once admitted to the bar, Claire expects to practice contract and employment law and litigation. In the meantime, she looks forward to graduating and international travel with her husband, Connor.

Posted in: News, Students in the News, Uncategorized