The Sequoyah National Research Center (SNRC) seeks two tribally-affiliated students to work a minimum of 25 hours per week in the Center doing basic archival and research work under the direction of Center staff.
The SNRC at the University of Arkansas at Little Rock (UALR) houses the papers and special collections of tribal individuals and organizations and holds the world’s largest archival collection of Native American newspapers and periodicals.
The goal of the American Indian/Alaska Native Student Internship Program is to provide students an experiential learning environment in which to acquire an understanding of the value of archives and the research potential of the collections of the Center and to engage in academic research and practical archival activities related to tribal culture, society, and issues. Interns are expected to demonstrate the value of their experience by either a summary report of work, finding aids for collections, or reports of research or other written work that may be shared with their home institutions.
To qualify for an internship, students must
- Be affiliated with a federally-recognized tribe,
- Have completed at least 60 college hours, and
- Be in good standing at their home institutions of higher learning.
To apply, students must send
- An unofficial copy of the student’s academic transcript,
- A resume/CV,
- A recommendation letter from the head of the student’s major department or from another relevant academic official, and
- An application that includes a personal statement of at least 250 words expressing why the intern experience would be beneficial to the student’s academic or career goals.
The Center provides on-campus housing and $2,500 to defray other living expenses. Students interested in applying for internships for June 5 through July 28, 2023, should complete the online application (https://ualr.edu/sequoyah/summerinternship/). Inquiries may be sent to Dr. Daniel F. Littlefield or Erin Fehr at email@example.com. Applications are due by March 31, 2023. The Center will select two applicants and notify students of their decision by April 7.
For information regarding UALR and its guest housing facilities, see ualr.edu/housing. For information on the SNRC and its work, see ualr.edu/sequoyah.