Trojan Tutoring will provide in-person peer tutoring starting spring term 2022 in the Ottenheimer Library. Anticipated: Tutors will be available mid-day through evening hours depending on tutor availability Sunday through Thursday.
Trojan Tutoring is provided for General Education/Core Curriculum subjects and courses (generally 1000/2000 level courses that are not already provided by existing tutoring services or centers i.e. composition, math, and communications).
Our mission is to assist students in increasing their academic success. We believe that peer tutors can provide unparalleled service to students in addressing their academic studies. Peers can provide a student’s perspective on learning and strategies for academic success. The development of a supportive tutorial relationship is the main ingredient to helping a student attain their educational goals. Peer tutors facilitate learning as a guide or coach to the student.
View and Complete the online application
Please read the information below to see if the Trojan Tutoring program is right for you!
The Peer Tutor:
- Designs an individualized approach to the tutorial session
- Explains the steps taken to understand the information and concepts
- Facilitates tutee insight into the underlying thought process to promote independent learning
- Builds students’ confidence as they integrate effective learning and study strategies
- Shares effective study skills such as note-taking, time management, and test-taking strategies
- Help your peers
- Stay fresh on important concepts you have learned
- Develop leadership skills
- Gain valuable skills that will help you pursue your calling
- Earn $11.00 an hour
- Must be a currently enrolled UA Little Rock student in good academic standing (plus enrolled for spring 2022 semester)
- Undergraduate and graduate students may apply (Graduate students with a 20 hour/week assistantship are not eligible for employment.)
- Completed 12 credit hours at UA Little Rock (at least one semester) prior to job start
- Minimum 3.0 Cumulative GPA
- Received an “A” in the course(es) you wish to tutor.
- Recommendation from 1 UA Little Rock faculty member who has taught you in courses you wish to tutor (if you wish to tutor in multiple courses, you will need a recommendation for each course)
- Eligible to work in the United States (We consider hiring all students, including Federal Work-Study students)
BEFORE APPLYING: Request permission from a UA Little Rock faculty member to submit a recommendation form on your behalf. The form will be automatically emailed to the faculty member you list on your online application when you submit your application. So, it is critical that you contact them before the submission of your application.
View and Complete the online application HERE
Completed applications are reviewed on an ongoing basis. (Applications MUST include a completed faculty recommendation per course/subject area). Applicants are selected for interviews according to the courses they tutor and current need in Trojan Tutoring. If we don’t have a need for the courses you offer at this time, we will keep your application on file for review in future semesters.