Pre-AP Pre-AP Pre-AP Pre-AP Pre-AP
October 2, 2014 PreAP English
October 3, 2014 PreAP Math The October 3 PreAP Math is cancelled. PreAP Math is rescheduled for Feb. 19-20.
October 27-28, 2014 PreAP Science
Essential Question: How can pre-AP teachers mesh all their various training into a coherent whole that addresses the rigor and meets the demands of CollegeBoard, Common Core, PARCC, and TESS?
Arkansas AIMS is working to help you find the answer! Attend a PreAP training workshop this fall.
ENGLISH: October 2 Cost: $200.00
After years of collaboration and backward curriculum design, Nancy Ward and Michael Daly discovered the heartbeat that pulses beneath the Laying the Foundation and AP Summer Institute lessons. These highly successful AP teachers will share their integrated approach that works with students of varying abilities and backgrounds. After this series of scaffolded lessons, students will have a developing sophistication of analysis to deeply read both rhetorical and literary texts. Herein lies the heart and soul of meaningful teaching. Each participant will receive a binder of handouts ready for classroom use. Day 2 of this training will be presented in February of 2015 ( a separate registration will be required).
- Michael Daly, a former reader for the AP Literature exam and an AP Lit teacher for several years, is currently an instructional designer with Southwest Power Pool in Little Rock.
- Nancy Ward, English director for Arkansas AIMS, has taught both AP Lit and Lang and Pre-AP English 6-10. Michael and Nancy, National Board certified teachers, have each presented at National AP Conferences.
October 3, 2014 PreAP Math is Feb. 19-20 and is now a 2-day workshop for $300.00
Join us for exceptional training for Algebra I, Algebra II, geometry, and preCal-Trig.
- Dickie Thomasson will lead training for PreAP teachers. Dickie has taught mathematics for 37 years in grades 6 through college in public schools in Arkansas. He is currently teaching at Prairie Grove High School and will be Algebra I, Precalculus, and AP Calculus. He is a College Board Consultant and presents at one-day and two-day AP and Pre-AP conferences, as well as, conducting summer institutes at the University of Arkansas, Tulsa University, UTPB, UTPA, TCU, and UTEP. He also offers a variety of workshops at the local, state, and national levels. He was an original participant and trainer for the Arkansas Math Crusades and is a national trainer for Laying the Foundation®.
- Jean Pharr is the AR AIMS Math Content Director
SCIENCE – October 27-28 Science will offer workshops in biology, chemistry and physical science. $300.00
- Robert Summer, Biology, is Science Content Director for A+ College Ready. He taught for eight years at LAMP High School in Montgomery, AL, after a career in the medical field. He was the science department head and academic competitive teams head coach for five years while at LAMP. He has been with A+ College Ready from the beginning as the Science Content Director.
- Debbie Anderson, Chemistry, is the A+ College Ready Chemistry specialist. She has taught 24 years, teaching AP and pre-AP Chemistry Debbis is currently teaching AP Chemistry and Pre- AP Chemistry at Jefferson County International Baccalaureate School in Birmingham, Alabama. Her BS is in Laboratory Teachnology from Auburn University. She holds a master’s in Chemistry Education from the University of Alabama in Birmingham and worked 15 years prior to teaching in the Clinical Laboratory Industry.
- Eric Lambert, Physical Science, is an experienced and enthusiastic science presenter. He has presented numerous science teacher workshops throughout the Southeast where his experience includes presentations at NSTA, AAPT, and ALTech conferences. He has also presented science teacher professional learning workshops for A+ College Ready, the Mississippi MAST science program, PASCO, and Alabama Middle and High School science teachers. Eric is an expert at teaching how technology can be used to enhance student learning and excitement in the science classroom. He is a National Board certified teacher and has been teaching for 24 years. He currently teaches physics and AP Physics in Trussville Alabama at Hewitt Trussville High School.
NOTE: These workshops do not count for the ADE requirement for a PreAP CollegeBoard training at least once every 5 years.