Dean, College of Social Sciences & Communication
The University of Arkansas at Little Rock invites applications and nominations for the position of Founding Dean of the College of Social Sciences and Communications. The newly created College of Social Sciences and Communications includes 8 units offering degrees at the baccalaureate, masters, and doctoral levels, including the School of Mass Communication and the departments of Speech Communication, Rhetoric and Writing, Criminal Justice, Psychology, Sociology and Anthropology, Political Science, and the Institute of Government. The college also supports several interdisciplinary research centers and institutes, including University Television, KLRE/KUAR public radio, the Survey Research Center, the Center for Nonprofit Organizations, and the Center for Public Collaboration.
Job Duties and Responsibilities
- Develop and implement a vision for the future through the organizational restructuring of the college to achieve its mission;
- Provide leadership in all aspects of its operation and support and maintain the collegeâ€™s mission;
- Work collaboratively with the faculty, other deans, the provost, and the chancellor to develop and implement the collegeâ€™s and universityâ€™s strategic plans and other institutional goals;
- Build on the unique advantages of the universityâ€™s location in Little Rock;
- Raise the state, regional and national profile of the college and its programs;
- Represent the college before the university, alumni, and other outside entities;
- Lead major fund-raising efforts, focusing on developing significant sources of private funds and building on existing endowments;
- Value and manage interdisciplinary and multidisciplinary endeavors;
- Enhance the sense of community among faculty, students, administrators, and staff;
- Support the universityâ€™s commitment to diversity
- Support the collegeâ€™s core values of professionalism, public service, and research;
- Advance the universityâ€™s commitment to excellence in teaching, both in person and on-line; and
- Perform other duties as assigned.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- Experienced visionary and entrepreneurial leader with excellent verbal and written communication skills;
- Experience in directing and building educational programs;
- Demonstrated ability to promote the collegeâ€™s programs internally and externally with industry, state, and federal organizations, and the general community;
- Ability to foster educational collaborations and interaction of diverse individuals among the units of the institution;
- Experience in facilitating faculty development and promoting student success; and
- Ability to create innovative and relevant programs.
Required Education and/or Experience
Candidates must have a terminal degree from an accredited institution in one of the collegeâ€™s program areas and be eligible for appointment at the professor level with tenure and a distinguished record of professional achievement. Candidates must also have a demonstrated capacity for effective administration.
Preferred Education and/or Experience
Preferred candidates should have successful fundraising experience; intellectual leadership; and, a record of collaboration in academic and community settings. Candidates should manifest strong and effective communication skills. Preferred candidates will have experience in successfully growing a department, school or college, including recruiting, mentoring, and advocating for faculty, researchers, and staff.
All applications must be submitted through the online application system. Incomplete applications will not be considered.
Candidates should provide a letter of application describing their interest in and qualifications for the position, current vita, and five current references. Official transcripts will be required at time of hire.
The search committee will accept applications and nominations until the on-campus interview stage. For best consideration, applications should be completed before April 18, 2014.
If you have questions about the position or wish to nominate an individual, please email Michael Schwartz, Dean and Professor of Law UALR William H. Bowen School of Law.
Background Check Statement
This position is subject to a pre-employment criminal and financial history background check. A criminal conviction or arrest pending adjudication and/or adverse financial history information alone shall not disqualify an applicant in the absence of a relationship to the requirements of the position. Background check information will be used in a confidential, non-discriminatory manner consistent with state and federal law.
UALR EEO Statement
The University of Arkansas at Little Rock is an equal opportunity, affirmative action employer and actively seeks the candidacy of minorities, women, veterans, and persons with disabilities. Under Arkansas law, all applications are subject to disclosure. Persons hired must have proof of legal authority to work in the United States.