Financing Graduate Education

Applicants must be fully admitted (regular status) at UA Little Rock as degree-seeking students to be eligible for any form of financial aid. Graduate students are not eligible for the Pell Grant, Supplemental Educational Opportunity Grant, or Arkansas Student Assistance Grant.

Graduate Assistantships

Graduate assistantships are available through graduate programs or departments. To qualify, students must be fully admitted (regular admission) to a degree-granting graduate program with a minimum course load of nine graduate hours and be recommended by the program coordinator. Audited courses will not count toward the nine-hour requirement and are not covered by the tuition credit. Students who drop below the nine-hour requirement by withdrawing from one or more courses are not eligible for graduate assistantships. Graduate assistants must remain in good academic standing with a cumulative GPA of 3.0 or above.

Assistantships usually include a full or partial tuition scholarship and a stipend of at least $6,450 (20 hours per week for two semesters) or $3,225 (10 hours per week for two semesters). Some programs offer a larger stipend. Assistantships generally are not available for the summer terms.

Duty assignments vary, but most involve either teaching or research responsibilities at UA Little Rock and cooperating agencies. Whenever possible, assignments contribute to the student’s field of study. For more information, see or contact the appropriate program coordinator.

Office of Admissions and Financial Aid

The UA Little Rock Office of Admissions and Financial Aid provides applications, information, and assistance on federal and other aid programs. Most financial aid is not automatically renewed; students must reapply each academic year. For more information, contact the Office of Admissions and Financial Aid at (501) 569-3127 or online at admissions.

Federal Aid Programs

To apply, students must complete a current Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA). The priority deadline for financial aid applications is March 1 for the fall semester. Students should return the completed financial aid application to UA Little Rock for electronic filing. Once the application has been processed and need analysis information determined, the applicant will receive an award notification that includes the types and amounts of aid awarded, specific program information, student responsibilities, and conditions governing the award. Federal aid programs include:

Stafford Loan (formerly Guaranteed Student Loan): long-term loan for students enrolled at least half-time. Funds are borrowed from a private lender. Repayment begins six months after student is not enrolled at least half time.

Note: Federal Aid eligibility will be reduced if the student receives assistance from any other sources, including graduate assistantships, scholarships, grants, employee discounts, etc.

Other Types of Aid

Tuition Deferment Plan

This payment plan is available through the UA Little Rock cashier’s office; students must pay a $25 nonrefundable processing fee. The deferment plan is available for Fall and Spring semesters only.

Payroll Deduction

University employees may pay tuition and fees for themselves, their spouse, or their dependents via payroll deduction. Contact the cashier’s office as early as possible before the semester starts.

TAMS (Tuition Assistance for Minority Students)

Visit the Teaching Enhancements Affecting Minority Students (TEAMS) website at


Scholarships are awarded for both full- and part-time students through the UA Little Rock Office of Development and various UA Little Rock schools and colleges. Complete a UA Little Rock Scholarship Application and the applications for scholarships required by the various schools and colleges. UA Little Rock Scholarship Applications should be submitted to the Office of Development. Deadlines for scholarships may vary.

Veterans Benefits

The U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs is authorized by law to provide a wide range of benefits to those who have served their country in the armed forces and to their dependents. Veterans seeking application materials or information on eligibility for VA educational benefits should contact the veterans certifying official in the UA Little Rock Office of Veterans Affairs, (501) 569-8171,, and online.