UALR-CI talking safety for all!

Eager students ready to share knowledge gained about online safety.

After working a hectic day, mustering up the family dinner, and attending your child’s extracurricular activities, when do you have time to discuss their diet or even their online safety? UALR- Children International has teamed with the UALR Department of Nursing to do just that—educate students about the importance of online, fire and hazard safety and a well balanced diet.

A child professed, “I post videos of me dancing on the Internet. I didn’t know people may be able to find me by what I say.”

In 82% of online sex crimes against minors, the offender used the victim’s social networking site to gain information about the victim’s likes and dislikes. Of online sex offenders, 65% used the victim’s social networking site to gain home and school information about the victim. (Journal of Adolescent Health 47, 2010)

UALR nursing students addressed the significance of children talking to their parents or schoolteachers if they are uncomfortable with any online material, especially if an unknown person tries to contact them.

Next up, fire safety! All children listen intently as UALR nursing students communicate potential fire hazards.

“I started a fire and burned down my house in the fourth grade. I just wanted to cook dinner and my parents weren’t around. Do any of you cook when your parents aren’t home?” implored a UALR nursing student.

All were amazed by the response. Over half of the fourth-grade class had used a stove without supervision. Some had even started small fires and had no idea what to do or not do next. UALR nursing students explained the severity of creating a home fire safety plan with their parents.

A happy participant waits patiently for protein to be called so she can claim her prize!

Other essential topics included swimming, cycling, and animal safety as well as an overview of wholesome nutritional foods.

Health and safety lessons will continue at UALR-Children International partner schools throughout the academic year. Meanwhile, let’s keep talking! Use those in-between moments of your busy day to remind and encourage your children to be safety conscious all the time!

Meg Stafford
Communications Coordinator
University of Arkansas at Little Rock-Children International

Correct answer! Students reap the reward of understanding the importance of safety.

Posted in: Event, News
Read more about: , , , , , , , ,