News

Features

Sports

Entertainment

Video

Home » Entertainment, Featured

Mark Zuckerberg has ‘0’ friends in ‘The Social Network’

Submitted by LaToya Sergent on October 7, 2010 – 7:57 amNo Comment

When it was first announced there would be a movie about Facebook, I thought it would be the movie that defines our generation. After seeing it, I hope Mark Zuckerberg, the 26-year-old millionaire who created Facebook, does not define us.

“The Social Network” paints him as a pathetic nerd desperate to get into Harvard’s most prestigious finals clubs. I may feel sorry for him if he was less of a backstabbing jerk.

Photo courtesy of TechEblog.com

“Zombieland” star Jesse Eisenberg is amazing as Zuckerberg, who is caught up in litigation with his best friend and co-founder of Facebook, Eduardo Saverin (Andrew Garfield), and Cameron and Tyler Winklevoss (Armie Hammer and Josh Pence), who claim Zuckerberg stole their idea.

As they sit with their lawyers rehashing how the social network became the biggest website in the world, Zuckerberg seems to enjoy having the upper hand on the popular kids. Of course, they are only jealous of his superior intellect. He often insults his opponents’ ability to have made any contribution to his success and gloats about his riches.

Forget Zuckerberg is a snob, and that he only made Facebook to ridicule his ex-girlfriend. Love him or hate him, he is a smart guy. There are few people who could literally come up with a million-dollar idea over night.

Justin Timberlake brings back his signature N’Sync curls in his role as Sean Parker, founder of Napster, the first widespread music-sharing website and the bane of the music industry. Zuckerberg is spellbound by Parker’s cocky disposition, tales of hooking up with Victoria Secret models and the California lifestyle. He is seemingly unaware that Parker is a has-been Internet sensation, who wants to ride on Facebook’s coattails.

The relationship between Zuckerberg and Parker really helps to put the reconstruction of technology and social media in perspective. “The Social Network” hints at some of those changes when Saverin’s girlfriend demands to know why his relationship status still says “single.”

We may not erect a statue of him any time soon, but no one can deny Zuckerberg, and Facebook, are huge parts of who we are and how we communicate. I can’t hate him too much; he created Facebook. How else would my best friend from second grade know I climbed Pinnacle last Friday?

This film may be geared more for the wired-in generation, but the older crowd will certainly be able to relate and appreciate how far we have come.

Besides, maybe Zuckerberg is not such a bad guy. He recently gave $100 million to public schools in Newark, N.J.

What’s on my mind? “Went to see ‘Social Network.’ It was awesome. Go see it.”

Comments are closed.